Share this story...
Latest News
Latest News

SLC man in custody after allegedly attacking man with reciprocating saw

(Salt Lake City Police Department)

NOTE: Police originally reported the victim was an adult female. They later clarified the assault victim was an adult male, and this story has been updated.

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Officers arrested a man who barricaded himself inside a home after he allegedly assaulted a male victim using a reciprocating saw.

Officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department said their investigation began around 11 p.m. Thursday after they received reports of a fight near the intersection of 300 East and 200 South.

Three people were walking a dog when the suspect, an adult male, approached them and got entangled with the leash.

Investigators said that led to a vocal altercation between the group and the suspect, who allegedly used a reciprocating saw and assaulted a man by cutting her above her eye.

The victim’s injuries were not considered life-threatening and he was taken to an area hospital, according to SLCPD Detective Marie Stewart.

Police said the suspect then entered his nearby residence, grabbed a metal pipe and broke a car window before returning to his home.

“After multiple attempts to contact the suspect, the SLCPD on-scene field incident commander requested the SLCPD SWAT and Hostage Negotiation Team (HNT) be activated,” police said.

SWAT and negotiators attempted to contact the suspect multiple times but were not successful.

Around 2 a.m. Wednesday, SWAT officers entered the residence and found the suspect inside a bedroom. Police said the man, whose identity was not released, was taken into custody without any further incident.

All roads closed during the incident were reopened by 3 a.m.

Authorities later identified the suspect as 32-year-old Samuel M. Hubble and said he was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on charges of aggravated assault, obstruction of justice and criminal mischief.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories