Bacon-fueled fire burns semi on I-80 in Salt Lake City
UPDATE at 5:15 p.m.: The westbound Interstate 80 exit to State Street is now cleaned up and open.
The original story follows.
SALT LAKE CITY — A semi trailer hauling bacon and other meat products caught fire on Interstate 80, near where it intersects with State Street, closing an off ramp for cleanup early Thursday morning.
The driver of the westbound truck noticed the fire that apparently started with a mechanical issue, according to Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Cameron Roden. The unidentified driver was able to stop driving and get out of the vehicle before flames fully engulfed the trailer.
The fire closed the exit ramp to State Street and because of grease from bacon and other meats, it was still closed at 3:30 p.m. while cleanup efforts continued.
John Gleason with the Utah Department of Transportation said it appeared the road wasn’t damaged while the fire was contained to the truck itself. However the fire did release “a lot of grease.”
“They big issue they have, that is causing concern, is a lot of grease down on the road but as far as damage on the pavement, we were pretty fortunate,” Gleason said.
UHP urged drivers to anticipate possible delays and urged safety and patience.
South Salt Lake Fire Department said that four cars drove through cones to the I-80 exit and thanked UHP for its assistance.
“We all want to go home to our family’s at the end of our shifts,” the fire department said on its social media.
- 17-year-old boy died by suicide hours after being 'sextorted' (pageviews: 36713)
- Friends remember mom, tattoo artist shot and killed in Pleasant Grove (pageviews: 15198)
- Woman fatally shot in Pleasant Grove; police say her son is now in custody (pageviews: 14120)
- Springville High softball team honors teen shot in murder-suicide scenario (pageviews: 10444)
- Man identified in Springville shooting of teen (pageviews: 8343)
- 911 dispatcher who asked 'Why are you whispering?' during Buffalo shooting, to be fired (pageviews: 8162)
- Woman found dead after apparent drowning in Ogden Canyon (pageviews: 7270)