Pregnant woman saves man from burning home in West Jordan
WEST JORDAN, Utah — A pregnant woman risked her life and the life of her unborn child to save another after a house went up in flames in a West Jordan neighborhood.
The house caught fire Friday night in the area of 8500 South and 3700 West.
Sarah Maughan, who is four and a half months pregnant, said she didn’t think but just reacted when she ran up to the house and started banging on the door and screaming.
“I just felt the heat. Yeah, it was intense,” said Maughan. “Banged on the door. He came to the door. I said, ‘Your house is on fire.’ He saw the flames on the garage and his mouth just dropped. He was dead asleep. Surprised! [The fire] already to the doorway as we’re running [away].”
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) November 29, 2021
Maughan admitted to KSL-TV it was a very dangerous situation.
“I just reacted. Probably not the best idea, you know, being pregnant, but you know, I would hate to see the fire and know I didn’t do anything and somebody died,” she said.
West Jordan fire investigators said the fire started in the garage area, but they are still trying to determine the cause.
Maughan actually lives a couple of blocks away and saw the flames from her house and jumped in her car, seeing if she could help.
When she pulled up, other neighbors were on their porches.
She said she didn’t think to ask if anyone was in the home, but just went running up to it.
She hopes someone else would do the same thing for her family.
“I just want people to start caring about one another,” said Maughan.
Maughan was not the only hero that day.
Two West Jordan police officers rushed to the house next door after it caught fire and managed to pull a woman and her dog to safety.
Maughan said the man just kept thanking her for what she did.
“He was very grateful. We were just kind of hugging each other. He’s like, ‘I would have been smoked out.’ He says, ‘I would have been dead if you hadn’t banged on that door.’”
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 24950)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 19408)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 7979)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 6672)
- West Jordan woman killed in crash with truck in Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5715)
- UPDATE: Police found missing man dead (pageviews: 5710)