Neighbors pitching in after Cache Co. family loses thousands in hay barn fire
CORNISH, Utah — A farming family in northern Utah is dealing with a huge loss after a fire destroyed an estimated $350,000 of hay and equipment.
The Creech family are third-generation dairy farmers and have spent many years saving, and working to build a farm in the Cache Valley. But their hard work over the summer to produce hay to feed their livestock this winter was wiped out by a devastating fire on Saturday.
Two sheds, full of a year’s crop of hay and a bunch of farm equipment, were reduced to smoldering piles of rubble.
Now, the family’s 300 cattle, including their 110 milking cows, won’t have feed going into this winter.
“This is farming, what we sign up for every day. My dad jokes, (the) reason why I don’t go to Vegas to gamble is because I do it that every day. We do that here on the farm,” said Colton Creech.
Creech said he’s gone through a range of emotions, and he said it’ll be hard to recover financially and emotionally.
“Out of that and tears shed there’s a lot of good that’s happened should not be a surprise given the place that we live in the friends that we have.”
A GoFundMe* account has already raised more than $17,000. There are donations as small as $10 up to $5,000.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Small plane makes emergency landing on I-15 (pageviews: 7907)
- New Zealand sends flight to see damage from Pacific volcano (pageviews: 7777)
- Salt Lake City schools switching to remote learning next week (pageviews: 5948)
- Utahns can't reach family members in Tonga after volcanic eruption, tsunamis (pageviews: 5948)
- Man arrested for DUI after driving recklessly on U.S. 89 (pageviews: 3814)
- Intermountain Healthcare updates visitation policy for its hospitals, clinics (pageviews: 3705)
- Woman killed in subway shove at Times Square (pageviews: 3323)
- 2 Hunter High football players killed, another injured in shooting; four suspects in custody (pageviews: 3284)
- Utahns can’t reach family members in Tonga after volcanic eruption, tsunamis – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3170)