Neighbors pitching in after Cache Co. family loses thousands in hay barn fire
CORNISH, Utah — A farming family in northern Utah is dealing with a huge loss after a fire destroyed an estimated $350,000 of hay and equipment.
The Creech family are third-generation dairy farmers and have spent many years saving, and working to build a farm in the Cache Valley. But their hard work over the summer to produce hay to feed their livestock this winter was wiped out by a devastating fire on Saturday.
Two sheds, full of a year’s crop of hay and a bunch of farm equipment, were reduced to smoldering piles of rubble.
Now, the family’s 300 cattle, including their 110 milking cows, won’t have feed going into this winter.
“This is farming, what we sign up for every day. My dad jokes, (the) reason why I don’t go to Vegas to gamble is because I do it that every day. We do that here on the farm,” said Colton Creech.
Creech said he’s gone through a range of emotions, and he said it’ll be hard to recover financially and emotionally.
“Out of that and tears shed there’s a lot of good that’s happened should not be a surprise given the place that we live in the friends that we have.”
A GoFundMe* account has already raised more than $17,000. There are donations as small as $10 up to $5,000.
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 76405)
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 22066)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 15455)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 12156)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12014)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 10654)
- 3 killed in multi-vehicle crash; NB I-15 closed for several hours in Box Elder County (pageviews: 8197)