Roosevelt police charge 3 students after threats promoting school gun violence
ROOSEVELT, Utah — Police in Roosevelt City said they have charged three local students with a felony each for participating in a social media campaign to threaten schools.
The threats may have been part of a “bring your gun to school day,” according to a police statement.
“The Roosevelt Police Department will have zero tolerance for such acts and will continue to monitor and aggressively follow up on posts or verbal comments made by individuals if they promote and or encourage this kind of behavior,” Roosevelt Police Chief Mark J. Watkins said.
In a statement, police said the threats were part of a trend on TikTok and other social media platforms that promoted gun violence at schools. Officers investigated local students who shared messages and comments about guns shared on social media platforms and through texts.
“Some conversations even encouraged the act and suggested that they were going to participate in ‘bring your gun to school day,'” Watkins said. He said none of the threats were imminent and no guns were taken to schools.
“The only senseless act that was committed was the sharing of, and comments in support of this act.”
He said parents of students charged have been cooperative and understanding. He encouraged all parents to talk to their children about the behavior and consequences surrounding school threats and monitor children’s texting and social media activities.
“If questionable texts or posts are found by parents and then brought to RPD’s attention, we will work with those who step up with information.
“Our children deserve to have a safe, worry-free scshool environment and we are dedicated to the preservation of school safety in all our schools in our city.”
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 5286)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 4285)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3692)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 2165)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 2065)
- 2 men arrested for allegedly enticing minors online and by text (pageviews: 2003)