Man arrested for alleged rape in Dixie State University dorm room
ST. GEORGE, Utah – Police at Dixie State University arrested a man for rape after a woman said she woke up to find him sexually assaulting her.
Police exercised a search warrant on the apartment of Donovan James Prichett to collect evidence. He was taken into custody at his workplace, taken to a police station, advised of his rights, arrested on suspicion of rape and booked in the Washington County jail without incident.
The investigation started when a woman who had recently ended a romantic relationship of several months with Prichett, sought out police and told them she went to his campus apartment because he had some Christmas presents for her. She said she told him she didn’t want to engage in any kind of sexual contact and had ended their relationship because of different religious values.
She said she fell asleep in his bed and between midnight and 2 a.m. she woke up while being raped. She said they had ended the relationship because of differences in their religious beliefs and values, according to probable cause documents filed in Fifth District Court in St. George.
The woman showed police a text exchange after the night in his apartment.
Pritchett: “I know I f***** up I know it’s inexcusable and I know I can’ fix it,” but offered to help the victim with anything she needs.
The victim, who is not being named by KSL answered: “Okay, if I need to get raped again, I’ll let you know.”
Pritchett: “I deserve all the bad treatment and stuff. But I’ll always be there.”
After the woman made the police report they secured a warrant and collected items from his room, part of a dormitory suite in the Campus View II apartments. Officers used a body camera to take video of the room and seized sheets, pillow cases, blankets, used condoms and wrappers. Investigators sent messages informing him that a warrant was being served at his apartment and requested he return home.
“f*** off pig,” he replied to police.
KSL, by policy, does not reveal the identity of sexual assault victims. Pritchett is presumed innocent until he is proven guilty in a court of law. Dixie State University will change its name July 1.
Pritchett was arrested Jan. 14 on suspicion of first-degree felony rape.
RAPE VICTIM RESOURCES
- If you are in immediate danger call 9-1-1.
- Utah’s sexual violence crisis line is available 24 hours a day at 1.888.421.1100.
- Visit ucasa.org/resources
- You can also visit: sexualassault.utah.edu/crisis-immediate-help/
- Rape Recovery Center Crisis Line – 801.467.7273
- Rape, Abuse, Incest, National Network (RAINN) – 1.800.656.4673
- Utah Domestic Violence Coalition – 1.800.897.5465
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)