Ukrainian National Anthem played before Jazz game
SALT LAKE CITY – A big show of support for Ukraine at Wednesday’s Utah Jazz game with a special tribute for a country under attack.
For the first time in NBA history, the Ukrainian National Anthem kicked off the night at a sold-out Vivint Arena. The Utah Jazz say it’s their responsibility, as an NBA team, to make a difference in people’s lives and do good.
— Debbie Worthen (@DebbieWorthen) March 9, 2022
Violinist and conductor Gabriel Gordon has relatives in Ukraine and posted a video on youtube of his rendition of the Ukrainian National Anthem. That was after Russia first invaded Ukraine; Wednesday night, he played in front of his largest audience ever.
“It’s all about my personal mission to be able to show solidarity to other people who are suffering in the world,” Gordon said.
In addition to Gordon’s performance, the Jazz also just donated 32,000 nights on Airbnb for those Ukrainians fleeing their country while under attack.
“Today the Utah Jazz announced a partnership with Airbnb and that is to provide 32,000 nights of housing for fleeing refugees from Ukraine,” said Frank Zang, spokesperson for the Utah Jazz.
And while Zang said Wednesday’s game is exciting, the Ukrainian anthem was a way to respect Ukraine and show solidarity.
“With a full house of 18,000 people, it’s really sort of our moment to think and remember what the refugees and people of Ukraine are facing in these extremely difficult times,” Zang said.
And for Gordon, he hopes the performance is one that people won’t forget.
“It’s part of my personal mission to bring a little bit more peace to the world through my music,” he said.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8296)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 5701)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4813)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3465)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3004)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2451)