2024 Republican National Convention passes on Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY — Organizers eliminated Salt Lake City as a potential host city for the 2024 Republican National Convention.
Gov. Spencer Cox made the announcement Thursday during his monthly PBS news conference.
“We are very good at this. That’s why we keep getting mentioned. We’re very good at hosting large events welcoming the world here. We’ve certainly been able to prove that and show that with the Olympics, with NBA all-star games, with big conventions,” Cox said.
The Associated Press reported that political and tourism officials said there were already a number of big events in Salt Lake City during July and that’s why it did not make the final cut.
The conventions are usually held in swing states. Utah is not one of them as it is a firm red state.
“We are a candidate for 2028. It is possible that the RNC will not wait to do this every four years. It’s possible that they’ll reward another state fairly soon,” Cox added. “And so, we will keep our hat in the running for 2028 and see what happens.”
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch (pageviews: 10947)
- Live (pageviews: 6780)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 5943)
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5940)
- BREAKING: Abortion now prohibited in Utah (pageviews: 4798)
- Utah 'trigger law' banning abortion to go into effect after Roe v. Wade overturned (pageviews: 4654)