LOCAL NEWS

Maple Mountain High woodshop fire causes $50K in damages; firefighter treated for burns

Mar 23, 2022, 10:15 AM | Updated: Jun 13, 2022, 11:03 pm

...

SPANISH FORK, Utah — Firefighters responded to Maple Mountain High School after repair work sparked a fire in the school’s woodshop.

The incident happened around 1:45 p.m. Tuesday and smoke was visible coming from the north side of the school.

Within 32 minutes, crews were able to extinguish the flames, which were contained to the woodshop’s dust collector unit. However, smoke from the fire spread throughout the northern portions of the school.

“Damages are estimated at approximately $50,000 and the fire was caused by welding being conducted to repair the hopper of the dust collector, igniting material in the bottom of the hopper,” read a press release

Fire officials said one firefighter was transported to a local hospital for burns and was later released.

Classes went on as normal Wednesday, and officials said the Nebo School District was handling cleanup and restoration efforts.

A note sent by the principal indicated that because students evacuated so quickly, no one was in contact with the smoke.

Spanish Fork units were assisted by the Spanish Fork Police Department and mutual aid agencies from Salem, Mapleton and the Utah State Fire Marshal’s Office.

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

Some good Samaritans came to the aid of Joey Espinoza after he had a medical emergency during a rec...

Shelby Lofton

Good Samaritans take action after Tooele man is badly burned at a campsite

A Tooele County family is thanking the good Samaritans who saved their father's life during a camping trip emergency. 

4 hours ago

Longtime announcer Lloyd Newell speaks as Derrick Porter is announced as the new voice of the Taber...

Hanna Seariac, Deseret News

Lloyd Newell bids farewell after 34 years of bringing inspiration from the Crossroads of the West

A few minutes before the broadcast “Music & the Spoken Word” started, Lloyd Newell walked up on stage at the Conference Center, like he’s done many times before. But this time, it was different — it’s his last time.

5 hours ago

tooele county sheriff's office...

Mark Jones

Skydiving accident in Tooele County sends one person to the hospital

A skydiving accident Sunday afternoon in Tooele County sent one person to the hospital, according to the Tooele County Sheriff's Office.

6 hours ago

emergency lights...

Mark Jones

5 juveniles hospitalized following early-morning crash in South Jordan

Police say five juveniles were hospitalized early Sunday morning following a one-vehicle crash.

7 hours ago

A group of teenagers were climbing up rocks at a hiking spot in Utah County when a large boulder br...

Brianna Chavez

Search and rescue crews faced difficult challenges in rescue of injured 16-year-old boy

A group of teenagers were climbing up rocks at a hiking spot in Utah County when a large boulder broke loose and struck a 16-year-old boy on Friday. The boy suffered a broken femur, according to the Utah County Sheriff's Office.

8 hours ago

The Main Library in Salt Lake City is pictured on Monday, Sept. 21, 2020. (Scott G. Winterton, Dese...

Kennedy Camarena, KSL NewsRadio

LISTEN: The end of libraries?

SALT LAKE CITY — These days, just about everything is electronic, including books. This begs us to ask the question, could we be seeing the end of school and city libraries? KSL NewsRadio’s host of A Woman’s View Amanda Dickson discussed this topic on the show with three guests. 👇 Ronda Menlow, former state representative […]

10 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Maple Mountain High woodshop fire causes $50K in damages; firefighter treated for burns