Maple Mountain High woodshop fire causes $50K in damages; firefighter treated for burns
Mar 23, 2022, 10:15 AM | Updated: Jun 13, 2022, 11:03 pm
SPANISH FORK, Utah — Firefighters responded to Maple Mountain High School after repair work sparked a fire in the school’s woodshop.
The incident happened around 1:45 p.m. Tuesday and smoke was visible coming from the north side of the school.
Within 32 minutes, crews were able to extinguish the flames, which were contained to the woodshop’s dust collector unit. However, smoke from the fire spread throughout the northern portions of the school.
“Damages are estimated at approximately $50,000 and the fire was caused by welding being conducted to repair the hopper of the dust collector, igniting material in the bottom of the hopper,” read a press release
Fire officials said one firefighter was transported to a local hospital for burns and was later released.
Classes went on as normal Wednesday, and officials said the Nebo School District was handling cleanup and restoration efforts.
A note sent by the principal indicated that because students evacuated so quickly, no one was in contact with the smoke.
Spanish Fork units were assisted by the Spanish Fork Police Department and mutual aid agencies from Salem, Mapleton and the Utah State Fire Marshal’s Office.