Police: Woman dies after husband runs her over at SLC airport
SALT LAKE CITY — Police are investigating after a woman was hit and killed by a car at the Salt Lake City International Airport on Monday.
Officials with the Salt Lake City Police Department said the crash occurred on the second level of the short-term airport parking garage around 2:40 p.m. Monday.
When officers and paramedics arrived on scene, they found a person, later identified as 29-year-old Charlotte Sturgeon, suffering from critical injuries.
“Paramedics transported Sturgeon to the hospital where she died, despite lifesaving efforts being performed on scene at the airport and at the hospital,” read a press release from the SLCPD.
Police said during their investigation, they discovered that Shawn Christopher Sturgeon, Charlotte’s husband, ran over her with an SUV shortly after the couple returned to Salt Lake City from a vacation.
“Shortly after the crash, Sturgeon drove the vehicle, with his wife critically injured inside, to the airport parking payment booths where he asked for help,” stated the release.
That is why Brent Weisberg, SLCCPD public information officer, told KSL TV two crime scenes were associated with the incident.
Detectives with our Homicide Squad have arrested a 38-year-old man involved in a vehicular homicide at the Salt Lake City International Airport.
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) April 5, 2022
Airport operations were not impacted, according to Weisberg, adding that flights continued to come in and out of the airport.
Shawn Sturgeon, 38, was booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail for investigation of automobile homicide — criminal negligence DUI of alcohol/drugs.
Police say this is the third homicide in Salt Lake City for 2022.
A number of images from the two crime scenes were released Monday afternoon.
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5415)
- Locations of 6 international temples released (pageviews: 4509)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 3865)
- Police confirm no shooting has occurred at Granger Elementary School; school evacuated (pageviews: 2338)
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 2300)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 2293)