I-80 closure over weekend during bridge replacement
SALT LAKE CITY — UDOT is moving a newly constructed bridge this weekend after months of building it alongside the old structure that was demolished Friday night.
I-80 is currently closed between foothill drive and 1700 East in SLC and is expected to reopen early Sunday afternoon.
This is start of work spanning two years to replace 4 bridges as part of project to replace aging infrastructure on I-80 and I-215.
UDOT is funding the $145 mil project with federal and state sources.
I-80 CLOSURE! Our I-80 & I-215 Renewed team will close I-80 in both directions btwn 700 E and Foothill Dr in SLC TONIGHT at 9 pm thru Sunday at 1 pm while crews replace the 1700 E bridge over I-80. For details, visit https://t.co/h12MEqP9Se! @UtahDOT @UDOTTRAFFIC pic.twitter.com/8f83VfI9wP
— UDOT Region Two (@UDOTRegionTwo) April 8, 2022
The replacement process includes using dish detergent as a lubricant and hydrolic jacks. UDOT estimates the bridge will take 8 hours to slide over 60 feet and move into place Saturday.
UDOT recommends drivers consider detouring to the 215 belt route. More information on the bridge replacement and the entire UDOT project can be found here.
- Utah boy dies after falling off school slide (pageviews: 19686)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 9869)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 8132)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 7085)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 5854)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3704)