Average gallon of gas passes $5 mark in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — The average price for a gallon of gas in Utah has passed $5, according to AAA.
The Beehive State joined 18 others above the $5 mark Thursday, led by California at $6.40 a gallon. Georgia had the cheapest price at $4.41.
“People are still fueling up, despite these high prices,” said Andrew Gross, AAA spokesperson. “At some point, drivers may change their daily driving habits or lifestyle due to these high prices, but we are not there yet.”
Thirteen of Utah’s counties had an average price over $5, with Piute County leading the way at $5.31 per gallon.
Sanpete County had the least expensive gas at an average price of $4.91.
Gas prices in Utah have jumped $0.22 since last Thursday and over $0.50 since last month.
This time last year, AAA says Utahns were paying an average of $3.38 per gallon.
Pain at the pump this summer
With the summer travel season just getting underway, demand for gasoline, coupled with the cut-off of Russian oil shipments due to the war in Ukraine, is sending oil prices higher on global markets.
The national average for gasoline could be close to $6 by later this summer according to Tom Kloza, global head of energy analysis for the OPIS, which tracks gas prices for AAA.
“Anything goes from June 20 to Labor Day,” Kloza said about the demand for gas as people hit the road for long-anticipated getaways. “Come hell or high gas prices, people are going to take vacations.”
- UHP warning of scam happening on Utah roadways – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10805)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9163)
- Caution: Strong weather takes Utah into the weekend (pageviews: 6858)
- Missing Utah woman found alive 1 week after crashing car in 300-foot ravine (pageviews: 5521)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5318)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4304)