Police: Wanted fugitive rams two police cars before arrest in traffic stop
LEHI, Utah — A wanted fugitive rammed two police cars Wednesday after a sheriff’s deputy spotted and recognized him driving tried to make traffic stop. He and a passenger were eventually hauled out of the car where several illegal drugs were discovered.
According to a release from the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, Chad Michael Llewellyn, 29, of Spanish Fork, Utah, was heading north on Interstate 15 in Lehi when the deputy spotted him driving with a passenger. He learned Llewellyn had a warrant issued for him and was said to be considered armed and dangerous, so he called for backup on the traffic stop.
According to the Sgt. Spencer Cannon with the sheriff’s office, Llewellyn left the interstate at 14600 South in Draper and traveled to a Maverik gas station, stopping by a pump. With backup nearby, deputies and detectives surrounded Llewellyn in his car, emergency lights on. They ordered Llewellyn out of his car, but he accelerated and rammed two police cars.
“He kept his foot on the accelerator and would not comply with orders to get out of the car,” Cannon said. “Deputies and detectives broke windows on both sides of the car and pulled Llewellyn and his passenger from the automobile. Only then were they able to reach into the car, put it in park, and turn it off.”
There were no serious injuries. Detectives took an inventory of the car and found “two large lock-blade knives,” but no firearms. Also discovered in the car were “large quantities” of methamphetamine, heroin, fentanyl and drug paraphernalia.
Llewellyn was arrested on the Utah Board of Pardons warrant but also on suspicion of the following charges:
- Aggravated assault, a third-degree felony
- Three counts of possession of a controlled substance with the intent to distribute, a first-degree felony
- Failure to stop at the command of an officer
- Rickless endangerment
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
Llewellyn is in custody without bail. One of the police cars could be a complete loss.
- US coach makes dramatic rescue of artistic swimmer at worlds (pageviews: 12401)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 10261)
- Utah woman killed, one person injured in Nevada crash (pageviews: 5940)
- Live (pageviews: 4921)
- Utah 'trigger law' banning abortion to go into effect after Roe v. Wade overturned (pageviews: 4393)
- BREAKING: Abortion now prohibited in Utah (pageviews: 4001)