I-80 near Salt Lake International Airport closed due to fire
SALT LAKE CITY – A fire is causing a shutdown on Interstate 80 near the Salt Lake International Airport.
According to UHP’s Sgt Chris Bishop, 5600 W and I 80 were closed in both directions as crews battled against a grass fire until 5:20 p.m.
I 80 is now open, but the fire shifted and Bangerter Highway is now closed from I 80.
I-80 is now open in both directions. However, the fire has shifted and Bangerter Highway is now closed both directions from I-80.
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) June 19, 2022
Bishop believes a transformer blew and sparked the fire.
Because of the smoke causing low visibility, officials have shut down the roadway.
According to Salt Lake City fire, they ask drivers to avoid Bangerter to 7200 West.
Salt Lake International Airport said that some flights are delayed, but not canceled.
Our officers and a crime lab technician are on scene to help with this investigation and to keep our community safe. Please avoid the area and never go around road closures so firefighters can work quickly to contain this wildland fire. #slc #slcpd #saltlakecity #wildlandfire https://t.co/nOSY6ofteW pic.twitter.com/8xieDH94Hq
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) June 19, 2022
This story will be updated.
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 21408)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 14286)
- R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in sex trafficking case (pageviews: 6417)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 5704)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4791)
- Yellowstone bison gores Colorado man, causes arm injury (pageviews: 3806)