Man arrested for two robberies in St. George
ST. GEORGE, Utah — A man was arrested and booked on multiple charges Friday after two robberies were reported in St. George.
The first incident occurred at Dixie Bowl, located at 146 E. City Center Street, around 9:05 a.m.
Officials with the St. George Police Department said a man reported that he had been approached by a white man who asked to speak to the owner of the business.
“The suspect then started to open the victim’s car door and told him he would hit him if he didn’t give him the car keys,” a release from the agency stated.
Police said the suspect did not take the vehicle and walked away from the scene.
“He was described as a white male with a beard, wearing a baseball cap and a red shirt,” the release stated.
Officers then arrived on scene and began their investigation.
Around 10:16 p.m. Friday, a second incident occurred at Fabulous Freddy’s, located at 806 N. Bluff Street.
Police said employees reported that a white man — wearing a red shirt, baseball cap backwards and Levi’s and holding a skateboard — had just taken money by force and was now walking southbound on Bluff Street.
“The male, later identified as Michael M. Whitaker, had threatened to harm two employees and one customer if they didn’t give him cash,” the release stated.
Police said officers arrived on scene and located the suspect within two minutes.
“Bystanders and witnesses were instrumental in assisting police in locating the suspect so quickly,” the release stated.
Whitaker was found to be the suspect in both incidents, according to St. George police.
He was booked into Purgatory for investigation of several charges, including aggravated robbery, robbery, three charges of aggravated assault with a weapon, disorderly conduct, and failing to stop for an officer.
KSL 5 TV Live
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 9883)
- 6-year-old boy dies after being ejected during rollover crash (pageviews: 9675)
- Important dates, rendering released for 3 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint temples (pageviews: 8289)
- Police officer wounded, gunman killed in Springville shootout (pageviews: 7785)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 7017)
- 3 killed in head-on crash in Kane County (pageviews: 6751)