Family, friends remember boy killed in South Jordan collision
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah — Family and friends on Thursday were remembering a 9-year-old boy killed when an SUV struck an electric bike he and a friend were riding.
Investigators said the boys were hit around noon Wednesday near 11400 South and 2200 West.
Earlier Thursday, South Jordan police stated that the 9-year-old had died and that his friend was in serious but stable condition.
One of Two Juveniles in Accident Passes Away
SOUTH JORDAN, UT – July, 7, 2022 – One of the two 9-year-old juveniles injured in an accident yesterday has passed away. The second juvenile is in stable, but serious condition. pic.twitter.com/LP0sOOOrP6
— South Jordan Public Safety (@SoJoPoliceFire) July 7, 2022
A family spokesperson identified the deceased boy as Brayden Long.
The spokesperson, family friend Sarah Riding, said it was hard to make sense of events like the one that took the boy’s life.
“I don’t know if you’re every really prepared for them,” she said in an interview with KSL TV. “If you are, you’re certainly not when it’s a 9-year-old boy.”
Riding said the family was already reeling after another recent tragedy.
They lost Brayden’s older brother just a mere four months ago,” Riding said. “It’s a great loss for the family, for the parents and the extended family who knew and loved them.”
Riding said Brayden was being remembered as a larger-than-life personality.
“He was always on one adventure or another,” Riding said. “He was just friends with everyone — friends with me, friends with kids his own age — he made friends really easily and just accepted everyone.”
She said Brayden was spending time with one of his friends when they were hit.
“They were just going to go and have a good time and it ended poorly,” she said.
Riding said the family had already received considerable support from friends, neighbors and the surrounding community.
Friends set up a GoFundMe* account to help with funeral expenses.
“I just hope they have hope and feel the love that people have for them,” Riding said. “It’s hard on a lot of people.”
*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisers and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Police: Man steals excavator, tears up ground outside grocery store (pageviews: 10928)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10276)
- Flash flood advisory for Salt Lake, Davis County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8607)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6176)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5885)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5171)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5037)