Six in custody after carjacking in SLC
SALT LAKE CITY — Six people were arrested by police in a stolen car Thursday.
According to a release from Salt Lake City Police the investigation began at 5:13 a.m. Thursday when a carjacking was reported near 1200 West Arapahoe Avenue.
Officers responding learned that two people approached a woman while inside her car.
The two suspects got inside the car and told the woman to drive off. When the woman told them no and to get out of her car, one of the suspects took out a knife and demanded the woman’s car.
The woman got out of the car and threw her keys at the suspects.
The two suspects took the car and left the area.
Officers searched the area but couldn’t immediately locate the car.
At 5:45 p.m. a officer in the area of 500 South Main Street saw the stolen car being driven with multiple passengers.
The officer attempted to stop the car, but the driver refused to stop.
The release states, “Officers started a short pursuit that ended at 1450 South Temple when the driver of the stolen car quickly stopped and everyone inside the car bailed and took off running in all directions.”
Officers in SLCPD’s Bike Squad, K9 Unit, and all three patrol divisions responded to help capture the suspects.
Officers located six people who ran from the stolen car after it stopped.
During a search after the suspects were taken into custody, officers located a loaded firearm.
Officers arrested 21-year-old Dylan Upshaw and 19-year-old Kendrick Legg for failing to stop at the command of a law enforcement officer.
The four others detained are juveniles and no information can be released.
The investigation into the carjacking remains under investigation. None of the six suspects arrested have been charged with the carjacking.
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 33024)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22249)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 17815)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 12809)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8138)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 5410)