Male zebra foal born at Hogle Zoo
SALT LAKE CITY — After a 12-month wait, Utah’s Hogle Zoo celebrated the birth of a new male baby zebra on July 23, 2022.
The new baby, who does not have a name yet, was born to Poppy, a five-year-old Hartmann’s mountain zebra, at a whopping 87 pounds!
According to a release from the zoo, this is Poppy’s second successful birth at Utah’s Hogle Zoo and a 12-month pregnancy is standard for zebras.
Within an hour after birth, the newborn zebra, called a foal, was standing on its own, nursing, and walking around.
Within the next seven hours, the foal started little gallops, known as “zoomies,” which according to the release is “natural behavior for babies in the wild who must quickly be on the move from predators after birth.”
The birth was able to be observed by animal keepers at a safe distance thanks to high-definition cameras. Some photos of the birth are included in the gallery below.
Bob Cisneros, associate director of Utah’s Hogle Zoo Animal Care, explained: “It is so important that we give mom and baby space and time to naturally connect in this start of life. The 24-7 observation of the baby hitting its healthy milestones via cameras has taught us a great deal about these first moments that are rarely captured. We look forward to sharing our new addition with other children and parents and educating and connecting guests to the importance of preserving zebras in the wild.”
Poppy’s new foal joins the zoo’s current African Savanna heard of Hartmann’s mountain zebras including: Poppy (mother), Scooby (father), Zibby (female), Ziva (female), Bryce (male), and Archie (male, Poppy’s first offspring).
Guests will be able to see Poppy and the new foal in Hogle Zoo’s African Savanna exhibit starting on Aug. 1.
A name for the foal will be chosen through a public auction open through Friday, Aug. 5.
To participate in that auction, (which includes a meet and greet with Poppy and baby) click here.
- Police: Man steals excavator, tears up ground outside grocery store (pageviews: 10928)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10276)
- Flash flood advisory for Salt Lake, Davis County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8607)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6176)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5885)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5171)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5037)