Fillmore community preparing for potential Halfway Hill Fire burn scar issues
FILLMORE, Utah — Crews were on standby late Wednesday night monitoring creeks in the area for burn scar runoff and debris flow after a powerful thunderstorm pushed through with heavy rain and lightning.
As of 10:15 p.m., one crew told KSL no significant issues had been detected.
Residents in the area have kept an eye on the hillside east of town and the Halfway Hill Fire burn scar as they helped prepare over the last month for potential issues caused by bad weather.
“You just don’t know where the flash flood is going to attack, what it’s going to do,” Eric Larsen said as he helped with other members of a church group to fill sandbags earlier Wednesday evening. “There’s multiple areas where the flooding could go and we don’t know where to plan.”
Fillmore City CERT commander Corrina Kessler said church and neighborhood groups have been scheduling time with the city in recent weeks to fill sandbags at a site on the west side of town.
Kessler said the sandbags were being prioritized for properties more at risk for problems, including those within proximity of Chalk Creek.
“They’re expecting debris to come down with the water,” she said.
Whatever sandbags were left would be stockpiled by the city, she said.
Just after 8:30 p.m., a thunderstorm pushed through with ample lightning and short but significant periods of rain, including what appeared to be on sections of the burn scar.
“Any time a black cloud is overhead, everyone starts to wonder,” Larsen said.
With an active weather pattern expected in the coming days, residents continued to hope for the best possible outcome.
“It might rain but just enough to get your windshield dirty and that’s it,” Kessler laughed.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8591)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7853)
- Iconic Stranger Things house for sale – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4030)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3671)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3209)
- ‘Totally devastated’: Trucks, trailers and ATVs stolen from Pleasant Grove neighborhood (pageviews: 2231)