SLC police investigating after man dies after being taken into custody, fight with officers
SALT LAKE CITY — An investigation is underway after a suspect died in the hospital following a fight with police officers.
According to Sgt. Mark Wian with the Salt Lake City Police Department, the male suspect allegedly stole items from a business near 800 South and 300 West around 3:15 p.m.
Two SLCPD officers found the suspect near 350 West 700 South, where they attempted to place him into custody.
The suspect resisted and caused “significant injuries” to the two officers, Wian said.
The officers were able to place the suspect into custody, but he was unconscious and unresponsive. Officers began chest compressions and used naloxone, but the suspect was not responding.
The suspect was sent to the hospital, where he died of an unknown cause. The two officers were also sent to the hospital, but their injuries were not life-threatening, according to Wian.
Wain said no firearms were used but couldn’t say if a Tazer or pepper spray was.
Body camera footage will be released, if there is any and if it follows city ordinance.
The suspect’s name and age were not released but will be after the next-of-kin is notified.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7743)
- ‘They’re all in imminent danger’: Video shows violence after Utah prison allowed gangs to mingle (pageviews: 7192)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6691)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3418)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3153)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday (pageviews: 2768)