Hyatt Regency in downtown Salt Lake nears completion
SALT LAKE CITY — If you’ve been to downtown Salt Lake City recently, you’ve surely seen the construction of a new hotel connected to the Salt Palace Convention Center.
The Hyatt Regency is set to open soon and it could help bring more visitors and business to the state.
You can hear it and you can see it. Work is still underway. The Hyatt will include restaurants and a pool but more than that, Visit Salt Lake said this will be a game changer for bringing people back to Salt Lake.
“We’re getting into that close window of the hotel opening,” General Manager Pina Purpeo said.
It’s been on the discussion table since 2005 and under construction since 2019.
Now the Hyatt Regency hotel in Salt Lake City is almost ready to open.
Purpeo said, “We really feel thrilled and honored to be part of Salt Lake coming out of the pandemic. It’s really thriving.”
She said the hotel has 700 rooms with all of the amenities you might expect. A big part of what makes this hotel stand out is it’s connected to the Salt Palace convention center.
“Having the additional 700 rooms really allows the city to bring in business groups that maybe we couldn’t get before because we didn’t have enough inventory,” Purpeo said.
Tourism and events have picked up in recent months but after the hit over the last couple of years, industry leaders in Salt Lake hope this hotel will be one more way to bring visitors and business back to the state.
Purpeo said, “People are ready to be back to meetings in person and be together and we are just excited to be a part of bringing tourism back to life. We really are just looking forward to being a part of the salt lake community.”
When it’s fully staffed the hotel will bring about 230 jobs downtown.
They’re holding job fairs at the Salt Palace on Wednesday afternoons.
There is no specific date yet for opening but it will be sometime in October.
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)