Fisherman ‘catches’ mystery on Pineview Reservoir
WEBER COUNTY, Utah — A fisherman in search of bass and tiger muskies on Pineview Reservoir recently caught something else — a mystery.
Braxton Green said he was on his boat in July looking at his radar when he spotted an unusual object under the water.
“It looked like a car to me,” Green told KSL TV. “Lo and behold, a month later I was out here doing a fishing tournament, came back, looked at it again and my buddy’s like, ‘yeah dude, it’s definitely a car!’”
Green said he came back the next day, put a GoPro down into the water and confirmed that what he had spotted on radar was a car.
“I was pretty surprised,” Green said. “It looked like a cement block on my fish finder.”
Green contacted the Weber County Sheriff’s Office through Facebook.
On Wednesday, deputies, search and rescue team members and tow truck crews converged on the area to locate the vehicle and bring it to the surface.
A dive team helped connect a cable to the car to hoist it out of the water, which Green believed was as deep as 37 feet.
“It’s probably just a stolen car or something but that was my main concern when I found it — like I better report this just in case somebody’s family member is in there,” Green said as crews worked to recover the car.
After taking a closer look at the vehicle when it had made it to the steep, rocky shoreline, deputies said nothing suspicious was located inside the car.
“We don’t know how the vehicle ended up here or why,” said Lt. Colby Ryan with the Weber County Sheriff’s Office. “It’s not reported stolen.”
Ryan said the Dodge hatchback was registered to an Ogden resident and deputies were investigating how the vehicle ended up where it did.
Investigators said it was found roughly in an area where stolen cars had been recovered previously.
“I didn’t know it would lead up to this!” Green exclaimed.
Green said he was grateful to help searchers uncover a different kind of catch.
“(It is) most definitely my biggest catch out of Pineview,” Green chuckled. “(It) beats all the tiger muskies I’ve caught!”
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10480)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 4695)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4341)
- A Spanish Fork high school homecoming dress code causes tension between students and faculty – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3477)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3208)
- Rolling Stone releases list of 100 greatest TV shows of all-time (pageviews: 3123)