Suspect flees traffic stop, prompting Spanish Fork shelter in place
SPANISH FORK, Utah — Police say a parole fugitive was eventually taken into custody after fleeing a traffic stop in Spanish Fork Sunday.
According to a press release from the Utah County Sheriff’s Office, a deputy attempted a traffic stop near 2700 N Main Street in Spanish Fork about 2:20 p.m.
The suspect vehicle fled and the suspect later abandoned their 1978 Ford pickup near Woodland Hills Drive and 8800 South, police said.
Police did not pursue, according to Sergeant Spencer Cannon, but were able to use officers in the area to locate.
The deputy who attempted the traffic stop asked dispatch to send a reverse 911 call to warn people in the area of possible danger.
Cannon said officers from Spanish Fork, Salem, and Payson Police departments as well as sheriff’s deputies, K9s and aircraft attempted to locate the suspect.
The parole suspect has been identified as 44-year-old Joshua Martinez, Sr. of Moroni, Utah.
“Martinez is known to be armed and dangerous and has threatened to try to get law enforcement officers to shoot him,” the press release from the sheriff’s office said.
Martinez was located in a small wooden shed and surrendered without further incident shortly before 5 p.m. and the reverse 911 call was cancelled, according to the release.
In addition to previous warrants, authorities say Martinez now faces charges of:
- Failure to respond to officer’s signal to stop, 3rd degree felony
- DUI, class B misdemeanor
- Possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of methamphetamine, class B misdemeanors
- Revoked driver license, class C misdemeanor
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10480)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 4695)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4341)
- A Spanish Fork high school homecoming dress code causes tension between students and faculty – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3477)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3208)
- Rolling Stone releases list of 100 greatest TV shows of all-time (pageviews: 3123)