Wednesday’s Child: ‘I just picture a lot of love and happiness’
SALT LAKE CITY – When most people head to the barber shop, it’s to get a clean cut and a fresh look. However, on Wednesday Dayton walked into Brick’s Barbershop in Salt Lake City for a fresh start.
“I’m going to be put on TV and try to get adopted,” said Dayton.
The 16-year-old knows what he wants his fresh start to look like.
“I just picture a lot of love and happiness,” he said.
Dayton hopes to go to hair school soon, so chose a place he feels comfortable to answer the uncomfortable questions. As he sat in the barber’s chair getting a cut, he told KSL TV his story.
“My first night gone, I cried,” he said.
He’s talking about his first night living in foster care – that was almost five years ago.
As if living in foster care isn’t tough enough, one night not too long ago he cried even more tears.
“I asked if could talk to my mom and (the man) said ‘she wasn’t there anymore’ and then I found out the next day that she was dead,” Dayton recalled.
For Dayton, it was a turning point.
“I realized I’m going to end up dead or in jail if I continue this way and so I asked to be put up for adoption,” he said.
He said now he feels hopeful, happy and a little hesitant about the future.
“I’m going to do my best and try to get adopted and stay out of trouble,” he said.
He knows the best way to do that is with a solid foundation – a family.
“I’m a good kid,” he said. “I have my ups and downs, but I also know I can have good relationships.”
To learn more about Dayton, or the many other children living in the Utah Foster Care system, contact The Utah Adoption Exchange at 801-265-0444.
- Vandals Go On Rampage At West Jordan Church, $50,000 In Damages (pageviews: 20013)
- Team Manager Left Out Of Cheerleading Photo In Shoreline Jr. High Yearbook – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10432)
- Team Manager Left Out Of Cheerleading Photo In Shoreline Jr. High Yearbook (pageviews: 9156)
- Cataract Canyon Without Lake Powell: A Monumental Legacy Of Dried Mud (pageviews: 6650)
- Improperly Stored Household Batteries Blamed For Taylorsville Garage Fire (pageviews: 5710)
- Utah Father Busts Would-Be Burglar From Taking His Car, Puts Suspect In Headlock (pageviews: 4018)
- Massive Millcreek Construction Site Fire Causes Millions In Damages (pageviews: 3492)
- UDOT Opens New Section Of Mountain View Corridor From 4100 South to SR 201 (pageviews: 2863)
- Vandals Cause Estimated $50K Of Damages At West Jordan Church (pageviews: 2812)