Wednesday’s Child: ‘I just picture a lot of love and happiness’
SALT LAKE CITY – When most people head to the barber shop, it’s to get a clean cut and a fresh look. However, on Wednesday Dayton walked into Brick’s Barbershop in Salt Lake City for a fresh start.
“I’m going to be put on TV and try to get adopted,” said Dayton.
The 16-year-old knows what he wants his fresh start to look like.
“I just picture a lot of love and happiness,” he said.
Dayton hopes to go to hair school soon, so chose a place he feels comfortable to answer the uncomfortable questions. As he sat in the barber’s chair getting a cut, he told KSL TV his story.
“My first night gone, I cried,” he said.
He’s talking about his first night living in foster care – that was almost five years ago.
As if living in foster care isn’t tough enough, one night not too long ago he cried even more tears.
“I asked if could talk to my mom and (the man) said ‘she wasn’t there anymore’ and then I found out the next day that she was dead,” Dayton recalled.
For Dayton, it was a turning point.
“I realized I’m going to end up dead or in jail if I continue this way and so I asked to be put up for adoption,” he said.
He said now he feels hopeful, happy and a little hesitant about the future.
“I’m going to do my best and try to get adopted and stay out of trouble,” he said.
He knows the best way to do that is with a solid foundation – a family.
“I’m a good kid,” he said. “I have my ups and downs, but I also know I can have good relationships.”
To learn more about Dayton, or the many other children living in the Utah Foster Care system, contact The Utah Adoption Exchange at 801-265-0444.
- Man identified in Springville shooting of teen (pageviews: 28039)
- 17-year-old boy died by suicide hours after being 'sextorted' (pageviews: 23205)
- Man dead, teen flown to hospital in attempted killing and suicide (pageviews: 13783)
- Woman fatally shot in Pleasant Grove; police say her son is now in custody (pageviews: 13358)
- Friends remember mom, tattoo artist shot and killed in Pleasant Grove (pageviews: 10487)
- Springville High softball team honors teen shot in murder-suicide scenario (pageviews: 9814)
- Man identified in Springville shooting of teen – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8545)