Teen arrested in Dimple Dell sex assault
SANDY — Sandy police arrested a 15-year-old Tuesday in connection with a sexual assault just off a well-traveled pathway that bends through the Dimple Dell gully.
Sgt. Jason Nielsen said the arrest was made following tips from the public and investigative work by Sandy detectives.
Police say a woman was heading along the walkway when the man forced her into a draw that is not visible from much of the surrounding land.
The man then sexually assaulted the woman before running away to the south, Nielsen said.
Police said the victim, who is believed to be about 40 years old, suffered serious injuries during the attack.
Two other passersby spotted her around 1:00 p.m., and the group called for help.
The woman was listed in fair condition Monday afternoon, Nielsen said.
“This is extremely brazen,” Nielsen said. “This is in the middle of the daytime. As you can see, it’s a very utilized foot path. There are people constantly on it.”
The arrested teen was booked into the Salt Lake Valley Detention Center. The case will be presented to the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office for determination of formal charges.
Residents from the surrounding neighborhood said they were stunned by what took place.
“Never in my life would I think something like that could happen here! Never!” exclaimed William Zeveney, who was walking through the area with a friend Monday evening.
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 12623)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 8243)
- Netflix’s ‘Falling for Christmas’ filmed at these charming Utah locations - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6214)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as ‘the life of the party’ - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5376)
- Utah family gets 'a measure of justice' in 50-year-old rape case (pageviews: 5319)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4730)