Safe in 60: Understanding juvenile curfew laws in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Now that summer is here, your kids are probably sleeping in and staying out later at night. It’s a good time to talk with your teen about Utah’s juvenile curfew law.
The curfew laws are set in place to curb criminal activity and also to keep minors safe.
Utah law states that minors under the age of 18 cannot be out in public between the hours of midnight and 6:00 a.m.
However, city ordinances are allowed to take priority over state law, and many communities have more restrictive curfews in place.
For example, Salt Lake City mirrors the state law, but adds that those under 16 have to be in by 11:00 p.m.
A Salt Lake County ordinance is even earlier: those under 16 must be in by 10:00p.m.
Another thing to keep in mind: in many cities, the curfew times vary depending on whether it is a weekend or weeknight.
If you are cited for a curfew violation, it’s typically an infraction. You and your child may have to pay a fine or do community service.
There are exceptions to the curfew law:
- • An emergency
- • If accompanied by an adult
- • Traveling to or from work
- • Attending a religious or school function
- • If married
- • Exercising 1st amendment rights
Also remember that unless posted otherwise, most public parks close at 11:00 p.m., so even though you may not be violating the curfew law, you may not be allowed to be in the park late at night.
Since curfew laws vary from city to city, make sure to check your local laws. It may be listed on your city’s website, or you can call your local police department.
- Post Malone Is Donating 10K Of His Sold Out Crocs To Frontline Workers (pageviews: 7378)
- Morgan Restaurant Set To Close After 40 Years In The Community (pageviews: 6067)
- Police Release New Details Related To Alex Cox's Death In Vallow/Daybell Case (pageviews: 5860)
- Lindon Man Dies Following Incident At Quail Creek State Park (pageviews: 4657)
- Detectives Locate Body Of Missing Wasatch County Man (pageviews: 4614)
- Orem Unveils Utah's Biggest Pedestrian Bridge (pageviews: 2896)
- Orem Unveils Utah’s Biggest Pedestrian Bridge – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2889)
- 3-Year-Old Boy Hospitalized After Being Hit By Truck In Eagle Mountain (pageviews: 2868)
- 'UK Variant' Of COVID-19 Found In Utah, Officials Say (pageviews: 2482)