Safe in 60: Understanding juvenile curfew laws in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Now that summer is here, your kids are probably sleeping in and staying out later at night. It’s a good time to talk with your teen about Utah’s juvenile curfew law.
The curfew laws are set in place to curb criminal activity and also to keep minors safe.
Utah law states that minors under the age of 18 cannot be out in public between the hours of midnight and 6:00 a.m.
However, city ordinances are allowed to take priority over state law, and many communities have more restrictive curfews in place.
For example, Salt Lake City mirrors the state law, but adds that those under 16 have to be in by 11:00 p.m.
A Salt Lake County ordinance is even earlier: those under 16 must be in by 10:00p.m.
Another thing to keep in mind: in many cities, the curfew times vary depending on whether it is a weekend or weeknight.
If you are cited for a curfew violation, it’s typically an infraction. You and your child may have to pay a fine or do community service.
There are exceptions to the curfew law:
- • An emergency
- • If accompanied by an adult
- • Traveling to or from work
- • Attending a religious or school function
- • If married
- • Exercising 1st amendment rights
Also remember that unless posted otherwise, most public parks close at 11:00 p.m., so even though you may not be violating the curfew law, you may not be allowed to be in the park late at night.
Since curfew laws vary from city to city, make sure to check your local laws. It may be listed on your city’s website, or you can call your local police department.
- Man Dies After Being Ejected From Truck During Rollover Crash In Bluffdale (pageviews: 5048)
- Convicted Kearns Sex Offender Charged With Human Trafficking (pageviews: 5047)
- CDC: Schools Should Have Plan For Angry Parents, Face Mask Bullying (pageviews: 4785)
- Gephardt: 'Brushing' Scams Sweeping Utah (pageviews: 4552)
- AMC Is Reopening Its Theaters Next Week - And Tickets Are 15 Cents (pageviews: 4266)
- Alpine School District Teachers Rally For Safety Days Before Start Of School Year (pageviews: 4175)
- Authorities Identify Woman Found Deceased In Submerged Car Near Logan (pageviews: 3456)
- Gephardt: How A Side Hustle Became A Full-time Gig For Utah Adventurers (pageviews: 3228)
- Herriman To Host Nation's First High School Football Game (pageviews: 2539)