WILDFIRES

KSL given exclusive access to burned areas in Dollar Ridge Fire

Jul 4, 2018, 8:39 PM | Updated: Jul 5, 2018, 6:25 pm

FRUITLAND, Utah – No matter how many firefighters have been working in the air or from the ground, for some homes it was already too late.

The combination of dry weather and winds have caused challenges for crews on the Dollar Ridge Fire in the Uintah Basin.

“The weather conditions we’ve had have certainly been the largest story with this fire,” said incident spokesperson Donald Jaques.

Some wind gusts have been measured at 40 to 50 miles an hour, which swept into the Strawberry Pinnacles and Camelot Resort area.

That fire burned several homes and property.

“You’re concerned about the individuals that are there. This is my community,” said Jaques. “I know some of these individuals who live in this area, so it certainly hits home.”

Jaques was part of an escort with Duchesne County Fire Warden Nathan Robinson to take KSL into some of the evacuated areas.

It gave us a chance to see firsthand what the fire did, as well as take some pictures and video to let homeowners know the area looks like.

There was a thick haze of smoke in many areas, giving many areas along Lower Red Creek Road a sort of eerie feeling.

Fire officials escort KSL reporter Alex Cabrero to the fire line of the Dollar Ridge Fire to see and document the devastation first hand.

 

Most of the homes along the road were still standing.

We also saw wildlife walking around, including several rabbits and deer, looking lost.

Plus, with the entire area evacuated, there wasn’t much noise.

Firefighters said many of the homes still standing were okay because of defensible space.

Homeowners took the time to reduce fire fuels and combustibles around their homes, making it tougher for a fire to burn right up to the house and easier for firefighters to defend.

“It can really make the difference of your home surviving or not,” said Jaques.

However, the reality is, it’s going to time quite some time for the area to look like normal again.

For homeowners getting bad news about their cabins, it’s also now just a matter of when it’s safe enough to get back in and see it for themselves.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Wildfires

(Karah Brackin/KSL TV)...
Jed Boal & Karah Brackin, KSL TV

Gov. Cox, officials ask all to prevent wildfires during holiday fireworks season

Gov. Spencer Cox, state leaders and local officials are asking everyone to celebrate responsibly and help prevent human-caused wildfires this holiday fireworks season and beyond.
4 days ago
(Kane County Utah Sheriff's Office)...
Madison Swenson, KSL TV

Evacuations ordered due to Left Fork Fire in southern Utah

The Bryce Woodlands Estates have been ordered to evacuate due to the Left Fork Fire burning in Kane County.
6 days ago
Daniel Encinias stands next to the ruins of his home, which was destroyed by the Hermits Peak/Calf ...
Jennifer Henderson and Ella Nilsen, CNN

US Forest Service admits errors in routine prescribed burn that sparked largest fire in NM history

A Chief's Review of New Mexico's Hermits Peak Fire released Tuesday found that U.S. Forest Service errors during a routine prescribed burn contributed to the largest wildfire in New Mexico history.
6 days ago
Firefighter watching for any embers across the line during a tactical firing operation at night on ...
AAMER MADHANI, Associated Press

Biden signs off on hefty pay raise for federal firefighters

President Joe Biden has signed off on giving federal wildland firefighters a hefty raise for the next two fiscal years.
6 days ago
...
Lauren Steinbrecher, KSL TV

SLC Fire transitions to wildfire response preparedness for summer season

Salt Lake City firefighters are gearing up for what could be a dangerous holiday fire season, after getting a taste Sunday when a wildland fire blew up to 200 acres south of Interstate 80. 
7 days ago
New power poles have been put in place along SR-201 after two wildfires sparked on Friday, damaging...
Jed Boal, KSL TV

Fire damages power structures, threatens state park and marina

Two fires that burned Friday near the Great Salt Lake — along state Route 201 and Interstate 80 — are now contained. But Rocky Mountain Power is still working to repair equipment damaged by the flames.
7 days ago

Sponsored Articles

hand holding 3d rendering mobile connect with security camera for security solutions...
Les Olson

Wondering what security solutions are right for you? Find out more about how to protect your surroundings

Physical security helps everyone. Keep your employees, clients, and customers safe with security solutions that protect your workplace.
Many rattan pendant lights, hay hang from the ceiling.Traditional and simple lighting....
Lighting Design

The Best Ways to Style Rattan Pendant Lighting in Your Home

Rattan pendant lights create a rustic and breezy feel, and are an easy way to incorporate this hot trend into your home decor.
Earth day 2022...
1-800-GOT-JUNK?

How Are You Celebrating Earth Day 2022? | 4 Simple Ways to Celebrate Earth Day and Protect the Environment

Earth Day is a great time to reflect on how we can be more environmentally conscious. Here are some tips for celebrating Earth Day.
Get Money Online...

More Ways to Get Money Online Right Now in Your Spare Time

Here are 4 easy ways that you can get more money online if you have some free time and want to make a little extra on the side.
Lighting trends 2022...

Lighting Trends 2022 | 5 Beautiful Home Lighting Trends You Can Expect to See this Year and Beyond

This is where you can see the latest lighting trends for 2022 straight from the Lightovation Show at the Dallas World Trade Center.
What Can't You Throw Away in the Trash...

What Can’t You Throw Away in the Trash? | 5 Things You Shouldn’t Throw in to Your Trash Can

What can't you throw away in the trash? Believe it or not, there are actually many items that shouldn't be thrown straight into the trash.
KSL given exclusive access to burned areas in Dollar Ridge Fire