Proposition 2 Supporters Frustrated By Drug Safe Utah Announcement
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – As the Drug Safe Utah coalition announced its opposition to Proposition 2 Thursday, supporters of the medical marijuana initiative were frustrated. While Drug Safe Utah members said they support medical marijuana, Proposition 2 supporters said the group missed its chance.
“They claim that they are supportive, but where were they when we begged?” said Desiree Hennessy, a Proposition 2 supporter.
Hennessy said her son, Hestevan, needs medical marijuana to help with pain and seizures, but they cannot use it unless the initiative passes. Opponents of the initiative said there are not enough safeguards on medical marijuana in the law as it is written. Hennessy said she does not see medical marijuana as any more dangerous than other medications she has given her son.
“I have given my son multiple addictive substances that could kill my children or make anybody addicted to them, and not one has gotten into the hands of any high school kid. This medication would be no different,” she said.
Hennessy said her family was counting the days until Election Day on November 6, hoping to get the initiative passed.
As other groups work to shape their own medical marijuana laws, Hennessy said their efforts have come too late.
“Had they just been involved in the last couple years, they could have had a say, but they refused to come to the table. They refused to have a say. They refused to work with us,” she said.
- US coach makes dramatic rescue of artistic swimmer at worlds (pageviews: 12230)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 7508)
- Utah woman killed, one person injured in Nevada crash (pageviews: 5653)
- Teen trying to save another swimmer drowns in Deer Creek (pageviews: 5638)
- Utah couple gets hit with sky-high surprise air ambulance bill – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4110)
- 5 planets take center stage as they align in the night sky (pageviews: 3222)