7-Year-Old Boy In Hospital, Mother In Jail On Suspicion Of Felony Child Abuse
SANDY, Utah – A 7-year-old boy is in critical condition after being found unresponsive yesterday.
His mother, Reyna Elizabeth Flores-Rosales, has since been booked into jail related to his condition and injuries.
Flores-Rosales was booked into Salt Lake County Jail after being arrested on suspicion of two counts of child abuse and one count of child endangerment, according to booking documents.
All three charges are felonies.
When firefighters arrived at the home at 7890 S. Manzano Drive in Sandy on Monday the boy wasn’t breathing and had no pulse. After CPR was performed, he was taken to Alta View Hospital.
The boy was later flown to Primary Children’s Hospital.
BREAKING: 7-year-old boy from Sandy is in the hospital in critical condition. His mom has been booked into jail on suspicion of 2nd-degree felony child abuse. The boy was found unresponsive on Monday @KSL5TV @KSLcom @kslnewsradio @DNewsCrimeTeam pic.twitter.com/LHcHibDCGl
— Ladd Egan (@laddegan) February 26, 2019
“There were the injuries that were concerning to us that we needed to look further into and get medical opinions on,” said Sgt. Jason Nielsen with Sandy Police.
In the affidavit of probable cause used to book Flores-Rosales in to jail, detectives write that at the hospital a CT scan revealed significant head trauma.
“Doctors at Primary Children’s confirmed that the injuries to the head were caused by a person in one single event,” the affidavit reads. “They ruled out an accident as a possible cause. They compared the damage and the bleeding on the brain to what is seen in shaken baby syndrome.”
The probable cause statement goes on to say the Flores-Rosales told police that the boy had “gone” in his diaper and that she put him in the shower to clean him. The mother said she checked on her son occasionally while he was in the shower for nearly an hour.
“She went in to check on him again and found him slumped over in the seated position on the floor of the shower,” detectives wrote in the affidavit. “He was not breathing.”
Police on Tuesday worked to finish up their investigation to present to the district attorney for a decision on whether formal charges will be filed.
KSL TV’s Ladd Egan contributed to this article
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)