33 Gang Members Arrested In Major Drug Bust
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah officials announced 33 arrests involving a gang with ties to a shooting that happened at Fashion Place Mall in January.
The U.S. Department of Justice, the Drug Enforcement Agency, as well as other federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, made the announcement Wednesday.
The new charges deal with drugs that are connected to Mexican drug cartels, with the drugs coming to Salt Lake City and the drug money going back to the cartels.
The people arrested are tied to the Norteño street gang, which has a significant presence in the Salt Lake City area.
Officials said the reason the gang members are in Utah is because of the market for drugs.
“Whether we want to acknowledge it or not, Utah is being aggressively targeted by the Northern Sinaloa cartels,” said Brian Besser, DEA district agent in charge. “This isn’t something we see on TV. It’s just a fact.”
Besser said there are mutli-millions of dollars at stake.
Officials said they’ve put a dent in the cartel’s operations locally, but they said there’s a line of people ready to fill the void.
- Utah police ask for help locating suspect in Amazon robbery (pageviews: 3523)
- Real Housewives of SLC Jennie Nguyen no longer cast member after 'offensive' social media posts (pageviews: 3509)
- Body found in Jordan River, police investigating (pageviews: 3503)
- 3x Region Champs, North Sanpete drill coaches go viral in video (pageviews: 3387)
- Wednesday's Child: Creative 13-year-old Kaydee hopes to find forever family (pageviews: 2864)
- Sewage provides alternative insight into COVID-19 surge direction (pageviews: 2841)