Buckling On I-15 Causes ‘Major’ Delays In Davis County
CENTERVILLE, Utah – Northbound lanes of Interstate 15 were reduced to two lanes after road buckling near the Parrish Lane overpass. Officials said to expect “major” delays during the evening commute.
All lanes re-opened around 6:30 p.m.
Spokesman John Gleeson with the Utah Department of Transportation said crews were called out Tuesday afternoon after reports of the roadway buckling across three lanes of the roadway.
The HOV and two inside lanes were closed while crews worked to make repairs. Only two lanes on the right side of the roadway were opened.
Traffic was backed up from Bountiful to Centerville, roughly seven miles away, as drivers made their way north during the evening commute.
We're hearing about some possible pavement buckling on I-15 near Parrish Lane. Chopper 5 is taking a look.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Tuesday, July 23, 2019
Gleeson suggested drivers use Legacy Parkway as an alternate route. Officials have opened the roadway to trucks and all traffic in an effort to alleviate the traffic jam.
Crews were attempting to open at least one additional lane in the short term, and then the remaining two left lanes.
UDOT workers will then plan to return to the area at another time to make permanent repairs.
Here's a look at the emergency road repair due to the frwy buckling from the heat NB 15 Parrish Lane Centerville. 3 of 5 lanes are shut down. Drivers, stay to the right to get by. BUT…this is going to take hours to repair! Avoid NB 15! Photo: @KSLChopper5 @KSLRikki pic.twitter.com/vXGmQoM0Fm
— KSL Traffic Center (@KSLTraffic) July 23, 2019
Gleeson said the extreme summer heat over the last couple days were likely to blame for the buckling. He said the occurrence was common in older pavement.
“(Roadway) panels expend in extreme heat,” he said. “(They) have nowhere to expand, so they go up.”
According to the UDOT website, officials expected the temporary repairs to take up to three hours, though Gleeson said they were not sure about an estimated time. All lanes were reopened around 6:30 p.m.
He said if drivers see road buckling, they should let UDOT know right away so they can make quick repairs.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9267)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 8058)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6022)
- 2 killed in separate Utah Co. crashes; 1 injured after hitting school bus in Clearfield (pageviews: 5683)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3183)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2423)