Community Mourns Loss of Teen Killed At Glacier National Park
FARR WEST, Utah – Family, friends and community members have rallied to show support for the family of a 14-year-old Weber County girl who was killed in a rock slide in Glacier National Park.
Purple ribbons line the streets near the Farr West home where 14-year-old Ayva Sparrow and her family lived. The teen’s life was tragically taken earlier this week, when rocks came tumbling down onto the family vehicle at the Montana park.
A close family friend, Dan Walker, said the loss is being felt by many.
“Ayva was a sweet girl,” Walker said. “(They’re) great people. Active members of the community, enjoy people, great neighbors. Just a great family.”
Friends also set up a GoFundMe page to help the family with funeral expenses. Walker said the Sparrows have been surprised and grateful for the outpouring of support they’ve seen from the surrounding community.
“I think it has been very surprising to them to realize how much they’re cared for, from really everywhere,” Walker said. “It’s truly humbling to watch a community and people come together for a common good cause. It has been surprising.”
Walker said he’s known the family for about 20 years, and that he’d worked with both Ayva and her father.
“I still remember her face, and seeing her coming in, saying, ‘Hi Dan! What can I do today?'” Walker recalled. “She was a very beautiful child, beautiful kid, and just a wonderful person in every sense of the word.”
Ayva would have been headed into the 9th grade at Wahlquist Junior High School.
A spokesperson from the Weber County School District said the principal sent a letter home to parents, letting them know about the tragic loss, and that counselors will be available, if needed, next week when school starts.
“She had a great personality,” Walker said. “She was a really good friend. I’ve got children and family that she was really good friends with. Always willing to help.”
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 5101)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 4500)
- Utah man arrested, charged with possessing fentanyl with intent to distribute (pageviews: 2760)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 2490)
- Passenger dead after attempting to move crashed truck on SR-89 (pageviews: 2389)
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 2147)