Magnitude 4.2 Aftershock Rattles Wasatch Front
MAGNA, Utah – A magnitude 4.2 aftershock was reported by the U.S. Geological Survey near Magna Tuesday night.
Officials said the earthquake was at a depth of 9.4 km and its epicenter was between Interstate 80 and state Route 201 in Magna.
No damage was immediately reported and KSL received reports of shaking across Salt Lake County.
Officials with University of Utah Seismograph Stations said the quake was considered an aftershock. It was slightly downgraded to a magnitude 4.17 after review.
This “was the largest aftershock to occur since the day of the magnitude 5.7 mainshock,” officials said. “To date, the University of Utah Seismograph Stations has located 1,247 aftershocks from the March 18 earthquake, including four others of magnitude 4.0 or larger (all on March 18) and 39 of magnitude 3.0 and larger. The aftershock activity is expected to continue for at least several more weeks, but with the rate continuing to decrease with time.”
This aftershock is part of the Magna sequence and even though we have not felt shaking for a couple of weeks, the aftershocks are ongoing and this is normal.https://t.co/Rig14n3kPd
— UUSS (@UUSSquake) April 15, 2020
“It doesn’t mean that anything has fundamentally changed, you know, with the risk or the hazard,” said Keith Koper, director of the University Of Utah Seismograph Stations. “It’s not that unexpected, although it is a little bit late. It’s likely there will be a couple more aftershocks from this magnitude four.”
Devin Hardman, a special education teacher in the Granite School District, was recording a lesson for his students when the aftershock hit.
LIVE: See the latest earthquakes from the KSL TV Earthquake Tracker
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 17246)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 12125)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10592)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 7906)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 4332)
- Utah man arrested for rape of child after toddler diagnosed with STI (pageviews: 2848)