Share this story...
Latest News
Latest News

Daybreak Community Rocked By Murder-Suicide Involving Young Boys

SOUTH JORDAN, Utah – Neighbors have been speaking out about the tragic death of two boys in South Jordan. Police believed they were shot and killed by their own father.

It’s a shocking and devastating loss. The boys had a lot of friends in the neighborhood. For parents, their loss was something they were still trying to come to terms with.

“Ezra was such a sweetheart. He was always so pleasant,” said neighbor Brianne Campbell. “He always had a brightness in his face.”

Campbell was one of many neighbors processing a tragedy that ended the life of 10-year-old Ezra Osborn and 8-year-old Seth Osborn.

“When they started taping it off, I was like, ‘What the heck?’ It was my 13-year-old son who told us what happened, crying,” she said.

Campbell said she taught Ezra in Sunday School, and he was the same age as her daughter.

“They were in the same primary class and we were talking about the kids, and she was like, ‘Oh, I saw him at the park two days ago,’” she said.

Officials with the South Jordan Police Department said the boys were shot by their father, 41-year-old Brian Osborn, at the home located on Pentenwell Lane.

They said it appeared to be a double murder-suicide.

Police said the boys’ mother came home from work Tuesday afternoon to find Seth with a gunshot wound. He was rushed to the hospital as responding officers then found Brian and Ezra also dead with gunshot wounds.

“We heard the flash bombs for the officer to get in – that’s all. Then my husband went out back. He was like, ‘What was that?’ and he went out front and saw just cop cars,” Campbell said. Police said Brian was watching the boys while their mother went to work, but was not living at the home. Several neighbors said the couple was separated.

“I never heard anything coming from the house,” said Campbell. “I never saw anything coming from the house.”

Police said they did hear from the family about domestic issues in the past, but nothing since November 2019.

Officers left a teddy bear on the home’s front porch Wednesday, in memory of the two boys. Overnight neighbors placed ribbons around the yard.

“I think everybody is shocked. Everybody is shocked. I think it’s surreal and nobody really knows how to make sense of it,” said Campbell. “I don’t know how to make sense of it.”

Investigators continued piecing together the sequence of events in the hours before the shooting to find out exactly what time they happened.

A GoFundMe account has been created to cover funeral expenses.

If you or anyone you know is in a domestic violence situation, there is help available any time of the day. Call the domestic violence hotline any time at 1-800-897-LINK.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories