Suspect In Custody After Fire At UDOT Facility In Wendover
WENDOVER, Utah – Crews responded to a fire at a Utah Department of Transportation facility early Wednesday and one person has been arrested and booked into jail on charges of arson.
Investigators said the fire was arson, and Wendover resident Joshua D. Gonzalez, 28, has been taken into custody. Officials with the Wendover Fire Department said Gonzalez was charged with two counts of aggravated arson on Wednesday.
The fire was reported at approximately 3:15 a.m. It destroyed one building and damaged another at a UDOT employee compound, according to Ken Quirk, Wendover public safety director.
He said there are four trailers that are occupied by state employees. A single-wide trailer burned down to the frame. A second trailer, which was occupied, was also severely damaged.
Fire officials said Gonzalez is a state employee’s family member, and they suspected him from the start.
“We were able to get some surveillance footage, and we were able to identify a suspect,” Quirk said. “The male adult, who is actually one of the residents here – was arrested here for two counts of arson.”
Authorities said they’ve had run-ins with Gonzalez in the past. The Utah Highway Patrol located him approximately four miles away.
“We’re just very happy that no state employees were harmed in this incident, but also very concerned that someone would want to destroy state property like that,” said UHP Sgt. Nick Street.
An early-morning fire destroyed one @UtahDOT housing unit and heavily damaged another in Wendover. Wendover Fire officials tell me they believe a tenant set the fire. They’re trying to find that person now. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/bxzwJ2CmsX
— Sean Moody (@SeanMoodyKSL) August 5, 2020
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 8563)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3901)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 3445)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 2621)
- Alleged fraud committed by top leaders at Layton Christian Academy - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2604)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2477)