Suspect In Custody After Fire At UDOT Facility In Wendover
WENDOVER, Utah – Crews responded to a fire at a Utah Department of Transportation facility early Wednesday and one person has been arrested and booked into jail on charges of arson.
Investigators said the fire was arson, and Wendover resident Joshua D. Gonzalez, 28, has been taken into custody. Officials with the Wendover Fire Department said Gonzalez was charged with two counts of aggravated arson on Wednesday.
The fire was reported at approximately 3:15 a.m. It destroyed one building and damaged another at a UDOT employee compound, according to Ken Quirk, Wendover public safety director.
He said there are four trailers that are occupied by state employees. A single-wide trailer burned down to the frame. A second trailer, which was occupied, was also severely damaged.
Fire officials said Gonzalez is a state employee’s family member, and they suspected him from the start.
“We were able to get some surveillance footage, and we were able to identify a suspect,” Quirk said. “The male adult, who is actually one of the residents here – was arrested here for two counts of arson.”
Authorities said they’ve had run-ins with Gonzalez in the past. The Utah Highway Patrol located him approximately four miles away.
“We’re just very happy that no state employees were harmed in this incident, but also very concerned that someone would want to destroy state property like that,” said UHP Sgt. Nick Street.
An early-morning fire destroyed one @UtahDOT housing unit and heavily damaged another in Wendover. Wendover Fire officials tell me they believe a tenant set the fire. They’re trying to find that person now. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/bxzwJ2CmsX
— Sean Moody (@SeanMoodyKSL) August 5, 2020
- Young Mother Killed In Head-On Crash In Kane County (pageviews: 9027)
- Pizza Delivery Driver Gets Surprise Tip, Becomes 'TikTok Famous' (pageviews: 7956)
- Herriman, Riverton Residents Help Give Back To Artist Alex Boyé (pageviews: 6649)
- Joe Montana, Wife Block Attempted Kidnapping Of Grandchild (pageviews: 4379)
- 2 Die In Single-Vehicle Crash In Tooele County (pageviews: 3507)
- Police Seek Public's Help Locating Missing Endangered Boy Out Of Millcreek (pageviews: 3031)
- Cache Valley Teen Lucky To Find Cell Signal After Rattlesnake Bite (pageviews: 2690)
- Utah Reports 1,068 New COVID-19 Cases, 5 New Deaths (pageviews: 1257)
- Structures Threatened By Fire Located South Of Veyo (pageviews: 1062)