New All-Ability Park Named After Mother, Daughter Volunteers
SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah – A new community park opened in South Salt Lake, named for a mother and daughter who have devoted their lives to serving in the community and paving the way for others of all abilities.
The one-of-a-kind “all abilities” Bickley Park has brought together the neighboring community.
“It’s weird when they name a park after you, and you’re not dead yet,” said Ida Bickley.
Ida said she may be older than 94, but is still young at heart.
“I met this amazing lady who is a firecracker and a hometown hero,” said South Salt Lake Mayor Cherie Wood of Bickley.
Ida and her daughter, 51-year-old Laurie Bickley, were surprised by the new all-abilities park named in their honor.
She has lived her life paving the way for others. She was one of the first female mechanics at Hill Air Force Base during World War 2, after being told girls couldn’t sign up for auto mechanics in high school.
Ida and her husband raised their 11 children in South Salt Lake.
“(I’ve) been in the same home for 71 years. I guess we’re going to stay,” she said.
She and Laurie spent the last 13 years volunteering at the Columbus Branch Library. It’s why Wednesday’s honor was so fitting, Wood said.
“We need to honor those people that serve our community and have our community in their heart,” Wood said.
“I just found out about it this morning when we were walked up here,” Ida said. “I just can’t even believe it. I can’t find words to express it.”
The Columbus Library closed in the spring and will be moving to a new location.
- Biden Halts Oil And Gas Leases On US Land, Water For 60 Days (pageviews: 3405)
- Utah Politicians Issue Statement Opposing Executive Order On National Monuments (pageviews: 2786)
- Utahn Shares Message After Losing Friend To COVID-19 (pageviews: 2670)
- New Mom Delivers Baby Boy On 2100 North In Lehi – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2668)
- New Mom Delivers Baby Boy On 2100 North In Lehi (pageviews: 2494)
- Health Officials Report 30 More Utahns Have Died From COVID-19 (pageviews: 2237)
- Biden To Sign Virus Measures, Requires Mask Use To Travel (pageviews: 2178)
- Utah Mother With Terminally Ill Baby Donates Breast Milk To Babies In Need (pageviews: 2024)
- SWAT Situation Unfolds Near Rose Park; Roads Closed (pageviews: 1926)