Troopers: Weather, No Seatbelt Were Factors In Fatal I-15 Rollover
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A woman has died after she was ejected from an SUV and fell 30 feet from a Salt Lake City ramp, according to Lt. Nick Street with the Utah Highway Patrol.
Street said a Mercedes-Benz SUV with four occupants was traveling northbound on I-15 at 500 South Wednesday.
Troopers said the SUV merged from the far left lane on I-15 and attempted to exit onto the I-80 westbound connecting ramp.
“They cut across multiple lanes of travel at a high rate of speed, hit a patch of ice and slush and the vehicle rolled,” UHP trooper Mikki Vargas said.
As the vehicle rolled, the female driver was ejected through the sunroof and “over the freeway barrier off the structure,” Street said.
Troopers said she was not wearing a seatbelt, and she fell an estimated 30 feet from the raised freeway structure.
“Because she chose to not wear her seatbelt today, she was ejected out of the sunroof,” Vargas said.
Street said possible “poor decisions” made by the driver “were further compounded by weather” conditions.
A male passenger and two children who were in car seats did not suffer any serious injuries but they were taken to an area hospital to be evaluated.
“Luckily the kids were properly secured in the vehicle and the passenger was wearing a seatbelt,” Vargas said.
Street said the crash was initially considered fatal but the driver showed some signs of life and was hospitalized in critical condition. However, he confirmed the driver died Wednesday afternoon.
The ramp was closed through Wednesday evening as crews investigated the crash.
Statewide, troopers responded to over 200 crashes Wednesday.
As of 5 pm today, State Troopers have responded to 219 crashes statewide. Unfortunately, one of them fatal and another with critical injuries.
Keep it slow in ice and snow, buckle up, and pay 100% of your attention on the task of driving and the road ahead.
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) February 18, 2021
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 17916)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16520)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8565)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7815)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6068)