UDOT Urges Drivers To Plan Ahead For Memorial Weekend
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – As Memorial Day quickly approaches, the Utah Department of Transportation urged drivers to plan ahead to avoid construction projects and to be patient while traveling.
Traffic engineers said some of the busiest spots will be Friday afternoon on I-15 through Salt Lake County, as well as northbound I-15 through Davis County.
Most construction projects will be put on hold over the holiday weekend, but some areas will still have restrictions.
UDOT also reminded drivers to be cautious, stay alert, wear your seatbelt, and put away distractions like cell phones.
Here is a list of areas where UDOT said there could be delays:
- I-15 in Clearfield – All lanes are open, but lane splits are in place on both directions of I-15 near Clearfield. The speed limit has been reduced to 60 miles per hour in the work zone.
- S.R. 39 in Ogden Canyon – S.R. 39 is reduced to one lane, with alternating traffic controlled by a temporary signal, near the mid-canyon bridge between Ogden and Pineview Reservoir. Delays of 15 minutes or more are typical, so drivers should consider an alternate route for traveling to Pineview Reservoir, Huntsville, Eden and other Ogden Valley destinations.
This photo of Main Street in Moab was taken in May 1972. The population of the city grew by nearly 270% over the prior two decades as tourism exploded in the area. The city continues to grow & UDOT is currently working to widen U.S. 191 in Moab to accommodate 5 lanes of traffic. pic.twitter.com/1keAX49Mzu
— Utah DOT (@UtahDOT) May 20, 2021
- U.S. 191 in Moab – U.S. 191 (Moab Main Street) will remain reduced to one lane in each direction this weekend. Drivers should plan for delays and allow extra travel time. Crews are widening U.S. 191 in north Moab to add a lane in each direction along with a center turn lane in some locations.
- I-84 near Morgan – I-84 is reduced to one lane in each direction between Morgan (exit 102) and Henefer (exit 112). These restrictions are in place 24 hours a day through July. U.S. 40 near Jordanelle Reservoir – Two lanes remain open in each direction on U.S. 40 near the Mayflower exit (Exit 8), but traffic is shifted to accommodate construction of new U.S. 40 bridges.
- U.S. 40 Starvation Reservoir bridge – All lanes on U.S. 40 will be open from Friday at 7 a.m. to Monday, May 31, at 10 p.m. Before Friday and after Monday, U.S. 40 will be reduced to a one-lane road with alternating directions of traffic controlled by a temporary signal. Drivers should plan for 15-minute delays during this time.
- U.S. 6 west of Santaquin – All lanes on U.S. 6 will be open between Friday and Monday. However, U.S. 6 will be reduced to a one-lane road with traffic controlled by flaggers and a pilot car between Santaquin and Goshen Monday, May 24 through Thursday, May 27.
- I-15 near Beaver – Lanes are narrowed for a bridge maintenance project in Beaver (exits 109-112). Drivers should use caution and obey posted speed limits.
- S.R. 12/S.R. 63 near Bryce Canyon National Park – Drivers should plan for a temporary configuration at the intersection of S.R. 12 and S.R. 63 where small portions of the intersection are unpaved.
- S.R. 276 at Lake Powell – UDOT’s Lake Powell ferry, which connects S.R. 276 between Bullfrog and Hall’s Crossing, is not operating at this time because water levels are too low. Drivers will need to use S.R. 95 as an alternate. There is currently no expected date when operations will resume.
UDOT has recently opened several seasonal highways around the state. More information can be found by clicking on “Seasonal Road Closures” in the “State Travel Info” section on their website. You can also visit the UDOT Traffic smartphone app.
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)