Homes West Of Enterprise Evacuated Due To New Wildfire
ENTERPRISE, Utah — Crews are responding to a new wildfire in southwest Utah that has forced the evacuation of homes in the northwest area of Enterprise.
The Flatt Fire started near 2000 South Old Modena Road in Beryl around 1:20 p.m. Friday, according to the Iron County Sheriff’s Office.
It has burned an estimated 10,000 acres as of 10:18 p.m.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) June 19, 2021
“I’m just sick to my stomach with what I’m seeing,” said resident Lee Bracken.
The fire grew quickly Friday afternoon as crews said gusty winds pushed the flames over the fire line.
“There’s another fire tornado! You see that one?” said Bracken.
A total of 100 firefighters have been battling to keep the flames away from homes on the northwest end of Enterprise.
At the latest update, it sounded like perhaps crews had been making some progress toward that end, but obviously, there is still some uncertainty ahead.
“The terrain up there and the foliage is just so dry that all it takes is just one spark and it just explodes like this fire did today,” said Bracken.
Evacuation orders have been issued from 2000 South Old Modena Road east to 2400 West and south to Enterprise. Residents north of Main Street and west of Center Street have also been told to evacuate.
“We have lost one primary home structure, which at this point is miraculous that it has only been limited to one,” said Enterprise Mayor Brandon Humphries.
“Everybody knows everybody and everyone’s related, so there’s some real hardship going on up there right now,” said Bracken.
Nobody could forecast when the fury would end.
“It’s frightening, it’s painful, it’s worrisome for our neighbors,” said Bracken.
But in a time of incredible tension combatting a massive fire, the people of the small town of Enterprise said the efforts of firefighters have been huge.
“They put their lives on the line against this fire and try to protect people’s homes, and you have to really appreciate that,” said Bracken.
You heard the mayor say one structure has burned. A fire spokesman came out around 9 p.m. and said he didn’t know of any structures that had been lost. Obviously information was a little conflicted as crews asked the public to avoid the area while they fight the flames.
Officials said the blaze was caused by lightning.
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home (pageviews: 9916)
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5751)
- Park City Fire Chief Dead After UTV Crash During Oregon Vacation (pageviews: 5201)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah's Drought (pageviews: 4135)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah’s Drought – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3339)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake (pageviews: 3156)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2353)
- No. Tooele Police Investigating After Fireworks Damage Parts Of Neighborhood – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2187)
- Live (pageviews: 1925)