Sheriff’s Investigators Seek Help Solving 8-Year-Old Fatal Hit-And-Run Case
UTAH COUNTY — Eight years after a hit-and-run crash left a teenager dead on a country road between Salem and Payson, investigators were hoping someone out there was still holding the critical clue to help solve the case.
Nathan Haun, 17, was walking home along Arrowhead Trail between Salem and Payson early in the morning of July 13, 2013 when he was struck by a truck and killed, investigators said.
Sgt. Spencer Cannon with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office said Monday that the truck was believed to have been traveling at least 70 miles per hour when it impacted Haun.
“It’s a narrow, two-lane road,” Cannon observed. “Even 40 miles-per-hour is pretty quick for this road.”
Cannon said Haun had been returning from a party and there was apparently a disagreement there.
“We assumed that whatever happened was enough to make him feel like, ‘I’m not going to wait around for my ride,’” Cannon said.
Cannon said while it was unknown if that had any bearing on what happened, or if Haun had any enemies who wished him harm, based on the circumstances of the case, investigators now believe it was “likely” Haun was hit intentionally.
“His injuries were significant enough that it’s very likely someone did this to him on purpose,” Cannon said.
After analyzing vehicle remnants left at the scene, investigators believed the vehicle that hit Haun was a Dodge pickup from model years 1994 to 2002 — likely 1994.
Anybody with information in the case was asked to contact the Utah County Sheriff’s Office at 801-794-3970.
“It’s possible even that somebody may realize that they know something about this that they didn’t realize before,” Cannon said. “We don’t expect this one to go unsolved for forever, but we just haven’t been able to solve it yet.”
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 15557)
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 12470)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9294)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 6279)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6040)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5879)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5783)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 5356)