Scam Texts Hit Utah As Confusion Over Economic Recovery Payments Continues
SALT LAKE CITY — There have been a lot of programs and lots of stimulus money aimed at helping people get back on their feet post-pandemic.
This week, the federal government will begin another program aimed at aiding Americans with children.
It has all left a lot of folks confused — and that confusion is playing into the hands of scammers.
A new text message has been making the rounds. It refers to the Employment Development Department. It refers to the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program. It refers to the stimulus payments, and it wants you to click a link to claim your benefit.
It is, of course, a scam.
People who click the link may download malware, or be duped into giving away their personal information to an ID thief.
The U.S. Department of the Treasury has been warning about stimulus-related scams for more than a year.
“The U.S. Government continues to encounter instances of criminals using stimulus-themed emails and text messages to trick individuals into providing personally identifiable information and bank account details,” an IRS spokesman said. “The IRS will not call, text, email, or contact you on social media asking for personal or bank account information — even related to the economic impact payments.”
Specifically, the IRS warned consumers to be suspicious of attachments or links claiming to have special information about economic impact payments or refunds.
To report a CARES Act fraud or other financial crime, the IRS said you should contact your local Secret Service field office.
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 15557)
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 12470)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9294)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 6279)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6040)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5879)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5783)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 5356)