Police arrest man after attempted carjacking in Provo
PROVO, Utah — A man was taken into custody after police said he attempted a carjacking Saturday night, following the BYU-Utah football game.
Police said the suspect, identified as 42-year-old William Ellison, approached a woman, her boyfriend and her boyfriend’s father and tried to steal their car, which was parked near the Museum of Art.
The woman told police the man had pulled out a knife or pair of scissors while making the threat.
“When the complainant told the suspect to stop and leave them alone, he stayed and continued holding the scissors,” read the probable cause statement.
The suspect eventually left the area.
An officer later located the man near BYU’s Administration building and commanded him to get on the ground, according to court documents.
Police said the man refused commands.
“When I tried to place handcuffs on the suspect, he pushed away from me and tried to pull me on the ground,” BYU Police Officer Jared Rigby wrote in the press release. “Citizens in the area assisted in restraining the suspect as I worked to place him in handcuffs.”
The suspect then refused to tell police important information, such as his name and date of birth.
He was later identified by photo identification, according to police.
Ellison was booked into the Utah County Jail on investigation of several charges, including aggravated robbery, a first degree felony; interference with a peace officer, a Class B misdemeanor; and failure to disclose identity.
Police said the suspect has a lengthy criminal history, including serving time for a homicide.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)