Man arrested after allegedly shooting, killing another man in Midvale
MIDVALE, Utah — A 19-year-old man has been arrested in connection to the death of man who was found outside a wedding venue in Midvale, according to police.
Officials with the Unified Police Department said Saturday that Guillermo Herrera was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of several charges, including murder, aggravated assault, obstruction of justice, and transaction of a firearm by a restricted person.
Oscar Avila, 28, was found with what appeared to be gunshot wounds at 145 E. Fort Union Boulevard the night of Nov. 6.
He was “down and bleeding on the sidewalk,” according to court documents.
Some of the guests attempted life-saving measures, but Avila was declared dead on scene.
KSL’s Garna Mejia spoke with Avila’s girlfriend, Tania Arambula, the day after the incident occurred.
She said the wedding was for Avila’s parents.
“During the wedding reception, three males came into the event and were causing trouble. As they were being escorted out of the building, a fight broke out and O.A. (Oscar Avila) was shot,” read the probable cause statement.
Court documents state the suspects also pointed their gun at other family members, including Avila’s mother.
An autopsy was completed on Avila a few days later.
“There was one fatal gunshot wound to the chest of O.A. Official Office of the Medical Examiner findings are pending,” stated the probable cause statement.
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7943)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 6897)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5569)
- Forest ranger quashes rumors of Pineview Reservoir in town meeting (pageviews: 4499)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3945)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3255)