U of U student dead, man arrested in hotel death
SALT LAKE CITY — A woman is dead and a man is in custody after he allegedly gave her a lethal injection in what court documents call “an attempt to commit suicide together.”
According to a probable cause statement, Salt Lake City Police were alerted by University of Utah Police of a possible suicide or homicide case Friday morning. The University Police were made aware of an email sent from a student to a staff member at the University of Utah sent by 26-year-old Haoyu Wang stating that he had injected his girlfriend with heroin to relieve her from suffering. The email stated both would be dead when they were found.
SLCPD pinged the victim’s phone and around 6:06 a.m. arrived at 616 South 200 West to conduct a welfare check. Both SLCPD and University Police conducted a welfare check on a hotel room registered to Haoyu Wang and discovered the victim and Wang in the room. The 19-year-old woman was found deceased and Wang was taken into custody.
In an interview described in a probable cause statement, Wang said the two “intended to commit suicide together,” but upon a failed attempt, Wang injected the victim with drugs with the “intent to kill her and relieve her suffering.”
After injecting the victim, Wang said he injected himself as well and remained with the victim until police arrival.
Through the duration of this investigation, detectives learned Wang and the woman were in a romantic relationship and had been living together. In a statement from SLCPD it states, “As such, this case is being investigated as a domestic violence-related homicide.”
Wang has been booked on suspicion of murder in the Salt Lake County Metro Jail.
The victim is not being identified at this time.
The University of Utah released a statement regarding the student’s death stating, “Police have indicated that the situation was likely a domestic violence situation.”
They offered resources to students on campus affected by her death and their condolences to family and friends.
This is a breaking story. It will be updated as new information becomes available.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)