Police: Man admits to shooting, killing victim in Ogden during robbery
OGDEN, Utah — A Utah man is facing murder charges after police say he admitted to shooting and killing a man on an Ogden street.
According to court documents, Erik Orozco Sanches, 19, told police he and another person saw a man walking on in Ogden and decided to rob him.
“During the robbery, Erik admitted to shooting the victim causing his death,” according to an affidavit of probable cause filed in 2nd District Court in Weber County.
Sanches was arrested on July 7 on suspicion of the following charges:
- Aggravated murder
- Aggravated robbery
- Obstruction of Justice
- Use of a firearm by a restricted person
The victim was found dead on June 12 on the road at approximately 100 Patterson Street with two gunshot wounds. An autopsy ruled the death was a homicide.
Documents state that police learned there was a gathering in a home near where the victim was found and a person named Erik Orazco was said to be there at the time.
The victim, identified as CB in police documents, was deprived . Investigators tracked it to Davis County after the shooting, mirroring the location history of Sanches — initially called Orazco in PC documents.
Only July 7 police were tipped that Sanches was the shooter. He was taken into custody and interviewed, reportedly agreeing to speak with officers after he was informed of his Miranda rights.
“Erik admitted to taking the victim’s cell phone after the shooting. Erik claims he then alter destroyed the phone,” PC documents state.
Police served a warrant on Sanches’ residence and found a 9 mm handgun that police said he admitted to using in the shooting. Sanches also said he was using meth during the incident.
He is currently in the Weber County jail, held without bail.
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 136150)
- Police: Hoax targets several Utah schools with fake shooting threats (pageviews: 26200)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 9800)
- Crews recover body of missing snowmobiler who was buried in Utah County avalanche (pageviews: 9341)
- 3 killed in multi-vehicle crash; NB I-15 closed for several hours in Box Elder County (pageviews: 9283)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 6559)