What you need to know to avoid traffic delays for Days of ’47 Parade
SALT LAKE CITY — Several roads will be closed in Salt Lake City Saturday as the Days of ’47 parade and competing runners snake through town.
Salt Lake City police said significant delays are expected.
Officers will line the marathon and parade routes to keep spectators safe.
“To help ensure the safety of participants and spectators, traffic will be allowed to cross over the marathon route, when possible, but traffic will not be allowed to cross the parade route until the parade is finished,” a news release said.
Parade safety was scrutinized after an 8-year-old girl died in Kaysville’s Independence Day parade.
A parade vehicle fatally injured Macie Hill. She was part of the parade.
“Some of these select street closures could be in place for up to seven hours,” the news release said. “All roadway users are encouraged to follow all posted signs and directions from officers along the routes.”
Several families camp on the street the night before so they can get a good seat early according to the parade’s website.
The Days of ’47 Parade begins Saturday at 9 a.m. It starts at South Temple and State Street and then runs east to 200 East. After that, it turns south to 900 S and then east again to 600 E where it ends at Liberty Park.
There is a full morning of marathons and fun runs as well.
The Deseret News Marathon starts at 5:30 a.m. at the top of Big Mountain above Emigration Canyon.
Thirty minutes later The Deseret News Half Marathon starts from the top of Little Mountain.
Runners in The Deseret News 10k start from Research Park, 500 South Wakara Way at 6 a.m.
The Deseret News 5K begins at 7 a.m. from 950 E. South Temple. It ends at Liberty Park.
Get more information on the running events here.
KSL 5 TV Live
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 34675)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 14695)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12863)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 10776)
- Greatest snow on Earth: Utah's snowpack hits record high (pageviews: 9730)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 9376)
- Body found under overpass at 600 North (pageviews: 6779)