Catholic Diocese is ‘considering selling’ Judge Memorial School
SALT LAKE CITY — The Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City is considering selling the 100-year-old Judge Memorial Catholic High School.
A letter sent to KSL by Superintendent Mark Longe, on behalf of Bishop Solis, said that Church leaders are exploring the possibility of selling the school and the nearby church, and building a new school near an existing church along 21st South.
The letter explains that the aging facilities are starting to become inadequate for use and that renovation would be very expensive.
The current Judge Memorial campus sits at 650 South and 1100 East on about 14 acres.
The letter states:
“On behalf of Bishop Solis, I am writing to inform you that the Diocese of Salt Lake City is exploring the possibility of selling the property on which Judge Memorial Catholic School and Our Lady of Lourdes (school, church, and rectory) are located. As many of you know, the current aging facilities at Judge Memorial Catholic High School and Our Lady of Lourdes are inadequate and renovation efforts are cost prohibitive. This exploration is in order to relocate Judge Memorial and Our Lady of Lourdes schools to a new state of the art facility yet to be constructed, at an open space on the St. Ann complex. A move of this magnitude would be contingent upon the value of the property and the success of Judge Memorial’s Capital Campaign. If this effort is successful, resulting in no residual debt, the entities of Our Lady of Lourdes would be consolidated with St. Ann’s Church and Kearns-St. Ann School. Both the capital campaign and search for a potential buyer for the property will commence soon.”
- School bus hits and kills 15-year-old girl (pageviews: 9542)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9110)
- Earth's inner core may have stopped turning and could go into reverse, study suggests (pageviews: 7586)
- Snow advisories could bring up to 14 inches of snow Friday night (pageviews: 6434)
- Man chases teens after shots fired at Taylorsville High (pageviews: 3898)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3647)