FAMILY SAFETY

Homeowners appreciative of delivery truck driver who helped save their home

Dec 11, 2023, 5:52 PM | Updated: Dec 15, 2023, 8:32 pm

TREMONTON — A delivery driver is being called a hero for his quick thinking on the scene of a house fire.

The Tremonton and Thatcher-Penrose fire departments said a FedEx driver stopped and reported seeing smoke coming from the roof of a home around 10:40 a.m. Friday.

Homeowners Darrin and Jackie Hogue were away on a shopping trip when the delivery truck driver called 911.

“He was in the right place at the right time,” said Thatcher-Penrose Fire Chief Josh Rhees. “It was very crucial that we got called out as quick as we did.”

When the Hogues returned home, they found their home seriously damaged. Their furniture, walls, and handmade additions were covered in ash and many of their belongings had melted. Their three pets died in the fire.

“It’s the nightmare that everybody describes,” said Darrin Hogue, who is a retired fireman.

He said they were close to losing the entire home.

A delivery driver is being called a hero for his quick thinking on the scene of a house fire. The Tremonton and Thatcher-Penrose Fire Departments said a FedEx driver stopped and reported seeing smoke coming from the roof of a home around 10:40 a.m. Friday. (KSL TV)

“That home was within, I’m going to say, best guess, four to five minutes from being totally involved,” he said.

Both the Hogues and first responders say had the FedEx driver not called 911 when he did, it’s likely none of the items inside the home would have been saved.

“Fire statistically doubles in size every minute that it’s currently burning,” Rhees said.

Rhees and the Hogue couple credit the driver for trusting his instincts.

“I don’t know that I could’ve,” Jackie Hogue said. “I’d been in shock maybe seeing someone’s house on fire.

His quick thinking spared their most precious belongings.

“In 2008, I lost my 16-year-old daughter to a distracted driver,” Jackie Hogue said. “All I have are pictures. Her pillows and couple blankets, they’re gone. But I was able to get a few pictures out.”

The couple said the stranger gave them a gift that they can’t repay.

“He needs a secret Santa and I wish I could be it,” Darrin Hogue said.

The Hogues said they plan to move into a trailer on their property soon. They said they will repair or rebuild their house themselves. A GoFundMe* was set up to help the couple with expenses.


*KSL TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.

KSL 5 TV Live

Family Safety

A new playground is being installed Saturday at Taufer Park in Salt Lake City, and residents hope t...

Lindsay Aerts

Residents hope new Taufer Park area gets safety upgrades alongside new playground

 A new playground is being installed Saturday at Taufer Park in Salt Lake City, but some residents are still worried about crime, drug use, and homelessness in the area.

12 days ago

A yearling bull moose was found in a neighborhood in the foothills of Ogden. (Courtesy: Crey Maxey)...

Carlysle Price

Moose found on homeowner’s porch, what to do if this happens to you

A yearling bull moose was found on a homeowner's front porch Thursday and was safely relocated by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.

20 days ago

Counterfeit car seats can be difficult to spot...

Alex Cabrero

Four ways to figure out if you have a counterfeit car seat

There was no way Sydney Fryer was going to put her child in a counterfeit car seat.

3 months ago

FBI sextortion graphic...

Garna Mejia

Predators targeting more Utah teens with sextortion scams, FBI report says

Teen sextortion cases are on the rise across the nation and in Utah.

5 months ago

emergency lights...

Larry D. Curtis

Townhomes evacuated until carbon monoxide source found to be car idling in garage

In the midst of some Utah winter weather Wednesday night, up to six electrically heated townhomes were evacuated after high carbon monoxide readings were found, according to the Weber Fire District.

5 months ago

A church in Monroe Utah exposed people inside to carbon monoxide sickening more than 50 and sending...

Shelby Lofton

Recent Utah carbon monoxide scares are an important reminder to get furnaces checked

After a series of carbon monoxide scares in Utah the last few weeks, awareness and concern are growing as temperatures drop and furnaces are on full blast.

5 months ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Homeowners appreciative of delivery truck driver who helped save their home