LOCAL NEWS

Recent Utah carbon monoxide scares are an important reminder to get furnaces checked

Jan 8, 2024, 6:46 PM | Updated: Jan 9, 2024, 6:00 am

SANDY — After a series of carbon monoxide scares in Utah the last few weeks, awareness and concern are growing as temperatures drop and furnaces are on full blast.

In the latest incident, Sandy police said 30 people were evacuated Sunday morning after firefighters discovered unsafe CO levels inside a grocery store. Firefighters who were at the store said an employee asked them about an unusual smell. Otherwise, they would have left the store and the situation could have been very bad for shoppers and employees.

A gas monitor showed CO levels at 80 parts per million — more than double where the firefighters monitor alarm signals. There were no complaints of illness or injuries. Furnaces were shut down and exhaust vents were cleared and the maintenance team identified a cracked heat exchanger.

Dr. Lindell Weaver is Intermountain Health’s medical director of hyperbaric medicine at Intermountain Medical Center and Intermountain LDS Hospital. He specializes in treating carbon monoxide poisoning and said the number of recent cases is much higher than is typical.

“In general we treat one patient per week, on average about 50 per year,” he said. “In the last two months or so just right before Thanksgiving, us, Utah Valley and St. George, we’ve treated over 100 patients poisoned by carbon monoxide.”

In the case of the grocery store, he said people would need to be exposed to gas for hours before the symptoms showed up, though smaller children, pets and people with some conditions are more at risk. Children have less blood and breathe faster so they take carbon monoxide up more quickly he said.

“You or I could be exposed to 80 parts per million for five seconds and we would never know we were exposed,” Weaver said. “However, if we multiply 80 by hours of time that allows carbon monoxide to build up in the blood, and indeed most people would have symptoms from that level.”

Physicians can’t always help everyone who gets carbon monoxide poisoning.

“There are people even with hyperbaric oxygen who are going to develop problems, mostly with brain injury,” he said.

Sheriff cautions about carbon monoxide after weekend scare at Sevier County church

State Fire Marshal Ted Black said the poisonings are a concern, but all the facts are needed before action can be taken. Fire alarms are required in commercial buildings, but carbon monoxide detectors are not.

“Obviously, these are a concern and we’re looking into all of these, but we need to make sure we have all the facts before we take any reaction,” Black said.

He said a building’s systems for heat don’t run on their own and do require maintenance. In Utah, CO detectors are required in new buildings where there are residential, institutional and educational occupancies.

Black said investigations will continue before any changes are possibly proposed to Utah law.

“We look at codes in Utah regularly,” Black said. “You have to justify the adoption of new codes and you have to prove there’s a cost benefit to the citizens of Utah.”

Black said, of the new code bills he’s seen, none include a carbon monoxide requirement. He said they need to understand what caused each instance of carbon monoxide poisoning before going to lawmakers.

“Nothing is done haphazard,” He said. “If we determine that more work needs to be work in this area, the research will be done, the presentation will be made to the state legislature.”

He said commercial detection systems are expensive.

“We could ensure safety on every freeway if we made people drive 20 miles an hour on the freeway,” Black said as an example. “There’d be no more accidents, no more deaths. Do you really want to drive 20 miles an hour on the freeway, or is 70 miles an acceptable level of risk?”

Black said it’s important he and the state are prudent in their decision-making.

“We can ensure that this will never happen again but someone has to pay for it so we want to be really careful that we don’t swing the pendulum too far the other way, but that we still provide an acceptable level of risk for the public,” he said.

Weaver and Black said the leaks are an important reminder to regularly check alarms and furnaces at home.

“I think people really don’t give this much thought sometimes,” Weaver said. “They go about their business and folks are busy, don’t really think about it, or they put off ‘Oh I’ll look at the furnace next year’ or something. Really everybody should be somewhat thoughtful about carbon monoxide or carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, confusion, ringing in the ears and unclear thinking.

Sandy grocery store evacuated after carbon monoxide detected

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

Kelby Diston hydrates while working on the I-215 Renewed reconstruction project in Salt Lake City o...

Adam Small, KSL NewsRadio

Triple-digit temperatures expected along the Wasatch Front

The recent heat wave is about to hit its peak, as the Wasatch Front reaches triple-digit temperatures Wednesday.

50 minutes ago

(Nevada Highway Patrol)...

Eliza Pace

Woman killed in Nevada crash on US Highway 6

A woman was killed in a crash on U.S. Highway 6 at mile marker 72 on June 5. 

60 minutes ago

The 2002 Olympic cauldron at the Olympic and Paralympic Cauldron Plaza at the University of Utah in...

Lisa Riley Roche

Utah is now one vote away from hosting the 2034 Winter Games. Here’s what just happened

Utah’s bid to host the 2034 Winter Games is headed to a final vote by the International Olympic Committee in July.

1 hour ago

The old Sears location in Salt Lake City is pictured Tuesday. Intermountain Health unveiled new ren...

Carter Williams, KSL.com

Intermountain Health unveils what it wants to do with old Salt Lake Sears block

Intermountain Health unveiled new renderings of its planned "urban hospital" during a Salt Lake City meeting on Tuesday, but it also faced pushback.

2 hours ago

Salt Lake City police releaseD a photo of a man wanted in connection to the June 3 theft of a Lambo...

Josh Ellis

Police ask for public’s help to locate suspect who stole $230K Lamborghini from SLC airport

Police are asking for help to locate a man who allegedly stole a Lamborghini from the Salt Lake airport this month.

5 hours ago

...

Daniella Rivera and Annie Knox

KSL Truth Test: Fact-checking claims from GOP candidates for Utah governor

The KSL Investigators fact-check a range of statements from Utah's GOP gubernatorial candidates.

5 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Photo courtesy of Artists of Ballet West...

Ballet West

The rising demand for ballet tickets: why they’re harder to get

Ballet West’s box office is experiencing demand they’ve never seen before, leaving many interested patrons unable to secure tickets they want.

Electrician repairing ceiling fan with lamps indoors...

Lighting Design

Stay cool this summer with ceiling fans

When used correctly, ceiling fans help circulate cool and warm air. They can also help you save on utilities.

Side view at diverse group of children sitting in row at school classroom and using laptops...

PC Laptops

5 internet safety tips for kids

Read these tips about internet safety for kids so that your children can use this tool for learning and discovery in positive ways.

Women hold card for scanning key card to access Photocopier Security system concept...

Les Olson

Why printer security should be top of mind for your business

Connected printers have vulnerable endpoints that are an easy target for cyber thieves. Protect your business with these tips.

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light up your home with these top lighting trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for hassle-free computer repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Recent Utah carbon monoxide scares are an important reminder to get furnaces checked