LOCAL NEWS

Sandy grocery store evacuated after carbon monoxide detected

Jan 7, 2024, 10:20 PM | Updated: Jan 8, 2024, 6:20 am

SANDY — A Smith’s grocery store was evacuated on Sunday morning after a group of firefighters were grocery shopping and were asked to look into an unusual smell.

The firemen were at the Smith’s store at 10305 S. 1300 East around 9:18 a.m. Sunday to buy groceries for their next two days on duty.

“One of the employees actually came up to us and said that they smelled a weird smell,” Capt. Joe Spicer said.

The firefighters said it smelled like some kind of exhaust.

Spicer said they brought in a four gas monitor from their truck. The device measures different gases, including carbon monoxide levels.

“Three to five is kind of what we expect to see in any given structure,” he said. “Our monitors alarm at 35 parts per million and we received notification of up to 80 parts per million.”

The crew said only their monitor beeped; no alarms were going off inside the store. They said they were confident in the monitor’s reading.

“As part of our daily check-offs, our firefighter actually had calibrated that machine this morning prior to us going to the store,” Spicer said.

The city said 30 people were evacuated out of the building and there was no complaint of illness or injury.

“Recent news stories of carbon monoxide triggered a few things in my head once we received a notification that there was high CO and we acted appropriately and got the people out safely,” Spicer said.

Dominion Energy arrived shortly thereafter at the store to shut down furnaces and clear exhaust vents.

A representative from Kroger, parent company of Smith’s, said in a statement to KSL TV that the smell was coming from the store’s heating system.

“The Smith’s Maintenance team identified the source was a cracked heat exchanger emitting carbon monoxide. The heating system was turned off and the store was evacuated for approximately an hour. 

In that time, the store was well ventilated to allow for air circulation. Dominion Energy performed multiple tests to ensure it was safe for customers and associates to return and the store reopened at about 11 a.m. The store is taking immediate action to replace the damaged part and reassures customers they can shop in a safe, and warm, environment.

We appreciate the fire department and Dominion Energy for their professionalism, attentiveness and support in ensuring our customers and associates safety, and are grateful no one experienced any adverse symptoms.”

A Smith’s grocery store was evacuated on Sunday morning after a group of firefighters were grocery shopping and were asked to look into an unusual smell. (Shelby Lofton, KSL TV)

A scary situation

“It’s very scary, it could’ve been really bad had somebody not spoken up, said, ‘Hey, there’s just this weird off smell, could you do an investigation for us,?'” Spicer said.

Sandy city officials issued a statement reminding Utahns of the importance of routinely checking for possible leaks during the cold season. A recent trend in carbon monoxide leaks in Utah includes incidents at a church in Monroe and a preschool in Draper.

“This serves as a reminder of how important it is to keep vents clear and furnaces in healthy working condition this time of year,” the statement read. “CO is odorless and can be extremely dangerous when exposure levels are high and lengthy.”

Both the Sandy Fire Department and Dominion Energy said they would inspect homes if someone made the request or if they suspect they have carbon monoxide in their home. Dominion Energy said it’s also important for people to have their furnaces inspected annually, as they are often working overtime during colder months.

KSL 5 TV Live

Local News

man holds gun...

Shelby Lofton

Expert breaks down how far someone can legally go to protect their Utah property

A tense interaction between a snowboarder and a Brighton man has started conversation on Utah's trespassing laws, and now an expert is weighing in.

9 hours ago

New homes during construction. (Ray Boone, KSL News)...

Daniel Woodruff

Battle brewing between Utah builders, cities over home inspections

SB185, which passed the Senate this week and awaits a vote in the House of Representatives, could allow builders to pick their own inspectors.

9 hours ago

The stage of the Tabernacle Choir as they perform in Manila. (Dan Rascon, KSL News)...

Dan Rascon

Tabernacle Choir performs unforgettable concert in Manila

It was a night not to be forgotten in the Philippines as the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square performed  its first major concert before thousands of Filipinos at the Mall of Asia’s 9,000 set arena.

10 hours ago

Police are asking for help in locating the driver in a hit-and-run that sent a Sandy mother and her...

Shara Park

Sandy police seeking help in locating vehicle involved in a hit-and-run

Police are asking for help in locating the driver in a hit-and-run that sent a Sandy mother and her teenage daughter to the hospital.

12 hours ago

Keith Sorenson opens a tool shed to display the tools of the trade. (Stuart Johnson, KSL News)...

Alex Cabrero

Taylorsville heritage center reclaims stolen historic anvils

A pair of historically-significant anvils were finally returned to Taylorsville after being stolen two years ago.

12 hours ago

Herriman police are seeking the public's assistance in locating 76-year-old Joe Vakuata. (Herriman ...

Mark Jones

UPDATE: Herriman police find missing 76-year-old man safe

Herriman police are seeking the public's assistance in locating a missing 76-year-old man.

12 hours ago

Sponsored Articles

Modern chandelier hanging from a white slanted ceiling with windows in the backgruond...

Lighting Design

Light Up Your Home With These Top Lighting Trends for 2024

Check out the latest lighting design trends for 2024 and tips on how you can incorporate them into your home.

Technician woman fixing hardware of desktop computer. Close up....

PC Laptops

Tips for Hassle-Free Computer Repairs

Experiencing a glitch in your computer can be frustrating, but with these tips you can have your computer repaired without the stress.

Close up of finger on keyboard button with number 11 logo...

PC Laptops

7 Reasons Why You Should Upgrade Your Laptop to Windows 11

Explore the benefits of upgrading to Windows 11 for a smoother, more secure, and feature-packed computing experience.

Stylish room interior with beautiful Christmas tree and decorative fireplace...

Lighting Design

Create a Festive Home with Our Easy-to-Follow Holiday Prep Guide

Get ready for festive celebrations! Discover expert tips to prepare your home for the holidays, creating a warm and welcoming atmosphere for unforgettable moments.

Battery low message on mobile device screen. Internet and technology concept...

PC Laptops

9 Tips to Get More Power Out of Your Laptop Battery

Get more power out of your laptop battery and help it last longer by implementing some of these tips from our guide.

Users display warnings about the use of artificial intelligence (AI), access to malicious software ...

Les Olson

How to Stay Safe from Cybersecurity Threats

Read our tips for reading for how to respond to rising cybersecurity threats in 2023 and beyond to keep yourself and your company safe.

Sandy grocery store evacuated after carbon monoxide detected